1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

French Textbooks

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by RachelRouse, Sep 15, 2020.

1. RachelRouse

RachelRouse New commenter

Hi all,

I've recently started tutoring and am looking for a French textbook to help my student to get back into learning French after sitting her GCSE a few years ago. She wants to work very slowly towards A Level and has a good understanding of grammar and level of vocab. So I need something that's between GCSE and A Level but not too exam-focused. Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. ladyofrohan

ladyofrohan New commenter

I found 'Help Yourself To French Grammar' by Thalia Marriott and Mireille Ribière useful before I started my BEd in MFL. I'd already done a 2 year post A level course but hadn't used my French for about 7 years! I'm currently tutoring an A level student at a private school and they use it for A level. It has some interesting texts in it as well as grammar. Coffee Break French do some nice podcasts for listening practice.

RachelRouse likes this.
  3. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I don't generally use a text book I fit my language lessons around their personal situation if I can. Some want it for work, property, holidays, family, all kinds of reasons.
    There's a book called living french. It's not aimed at exam but it's good for all levels, the beginning is really easy but but the end it's much more tricky. And it comes with a CD for listening