1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

French textbooks for Year 10 and up

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by qudend, Feb 3, 2011.

1. I’ve recently started teaching in a school where French has been rather neglected for the past few years in favour of other languages. However the new HOD is keep to improve all languages so we’ve been looking at the French course and it’s become clear that a major problem is a lack of resources.

For students in Key Stage 3 we have some fairly new and interesting resources to use – a variety of texts, audio and visual material. But once students hit Key Stage 4 we have nothing. The newest of our texts dates from the early 1990s. The oldest goes back to the 50s. There’s nothing on CD and little on cassette and nothing visual at all. I’ve been tasked with buying a textbook to assist us and searching out some up to date resources but I haven’t a clue where to start so I’m here to ask:

What have you found useful?

We’ve had Elán recommended but I haven’t seen a copy of it before. I’m not a fan of Tricolore, but that may just because I haven’t ever seen a new edition. My HOD doesn’t like Expo, but since he’s not teaching the subject that’s not necessarily a deal-breaker if people think that’s the best out there.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

What is the ability range of the pupils?

3. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

Indeed
    ET4 is great for high ability and the new one has an online 'electro' resource available. Don't know if it's any good though.
    Expo / Metro 4 vert/rouge is good for low / mid range, and also has the usual ICT resources.
    but extras like linguascope, Mary Glasgow magazines, Authentik Intermediate, Boardworks, Extra C4 series make things more interesting across the ability and topic range.

4. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Don't forget bbc Ma France and clipzones, they're great.

5. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

Hear hear! The BBC languages pages have some great material.

6. Sorry, didn't even think to mention ability.
    Most students are really high ability - definitely higher than any I've taught before and even those who aren't very capable are so eager to do well that their enthusiasm almost makes up for lack of ability. Am definitely thinking of higher level sort of things, especially as this years year 9 cohort (who will probably be the main beneficiaries of any new texts we get) are almost without exception G&T students or highly able students.

7. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

In that case I really can't understand your dislike of Tricolore 4 - the best thing I've ever seen. Add to it things from the web (try monjtquotidien.com and any of Steve's resources from frenchteacher.net) and you're onto a winner. I really like that I can dip into that textbook as often or as little as I want, it has way more in there than I'd be able to cover in two years anyway.
    They've published a new tricolore 1 and 2, don't know if they've published a new tricolore 4 as well, but if they have (especially if they have kerboodle on the side as well) I'd definitely go for it! If you want to pm me your email, I can send you our SOW for Y10-11.

8. I have been using Equipe Dynamique for the last three years and I find it is well structured has lots of differentiated worksheets and an En solo pack that students can use for practicing converations pronunciation, the works!It also has a smart board software with games grammer text fill exercices thta will bring your classes to life. So far we've had very good grades with it at the IG's and it follows on very well from the Equipe Nouvelle series for KS3. It's by Oxford University press , it's worth having a look.
    Wanjiru
    Nairobi

9. I've only ever seen the really old version of Tricolore (from the 80s? 70s? The first edition) and then only the teachers/students book and none of the associated resources. None of the schools I've worked at have ever used anything more modern. I'm going to check out the latest one though.

Thanks everybody for your replies. You've given me some ideas and direction.