1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

French teacher interview

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by haventaclue, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Hello!
    After three years teaching in a special school, I have decided to do what I trained to do and teach Modern Languages. I have an interview on Thursday which involves teaching a twenty five minute lesson to a mixed ability Year Eight group on either breakfast food/going to the market. The pupils are going to France the following week and will need to put this language into practice. I have taught French at a very basic level to a maximum of eight pupils at a time and the prospect of teaching to a much higher ability level four times the size is scaring me somewhat. I was hoping to do some role play but not sure how I will manage this- all I learned on my training seems to have deserted me! Any help/suggestions/ideas would be much appreciated!

2. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Could you post your ideas for your lesson and then we'll be able to comment on it?
    I know how you feel though, I didn't teach A-level until quite a few years after my training and felt rusty and scared. It comes back to you with the adrenaline of the interview. Also, they've shortlisted you on the strength of your application so you must be someone whose profile they think will fit in well with the school (certainly teaching in a special school gives you an edge and I'd try and sell that as much as possible). They'll also know that you haven't taught in mainstream since your training so will be expecting you to need some support in that area (if not, make it clear at interview).
    If I was a bit mean I'd say that this is what you wanted and if you can't do it for interview, why try and do it full time at all? But as I said, I see where you're coming from. Don't be too scared, you'll be fine!
    Teachers.tv has some good training videos (I'm sure there's one about teaching Y8 bottom set last thing on a Friday).

3. Some ideas
    At the market:
    Powerpoint to introduce the vocab/ choral repetition, get them to stand and do loud/quiet vocices to get them warmed up - Kims game if time
    Progression:
    a pairwork conversation to include please/ thank you plus items of food vocab for all
    to include je voudrais plus above for most
    to include all of that plus j'adore / je déteste + item of food vocab for some
    Differentiation is important for a mixed ability group as you know, so differentiated objectives show you have thought about it even if it doesnt quite come off as you dont know them as well as you normally would
    You could do a rationale to attach to your plan to show where you would go next with the learning - maybe writing and performing their own market dialogues ad peer assessing them/awarding levels to each other, using KS3 levels criteria
    Good luck!