1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

French Slang and Texttalk

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by rigadon24, Jul 10, 2011.

1. I've did a survey with my Year 9s a couple of weeks a go asking them what kind of things they would like to learn in their final few weeks of French. They are the low ability group (only about 14 in the group - when they're all present!) and none of them (disappointingly!) are taking French in Year 10 - so I thought this would be a good way to improve behaviour and interest.
    They mentioned 'Games, computers, swear words (although I told them this wouldn't be happening!), films' amongst other things. The first task on my new SoW was the game aspect... I had pupils create their own board games and then play them for a short while (all French related) and a prize was given to the best one. This allowed them to work in pairs, become more 'practical' and still use the language they ad learnt over the past few years. They loved it.
    My next step on the new SoW is to have a lesson on slang and texttalk - something which I think they will relate to greatly. I have been researching slang and have found a few good phrases (some of which are quite close to the bone!!) which I could show them. I just wondered if anyone knows of any good phrases which pupils would love?
    I also would love to know some Text talk phrases.... for example - BJR is bonjour I know I can find these via google and French friends of mine but whilst I'm writing I may as well ask for any good suggestions that anyone knows?

Incidently, I am planning on teaching a lesson about typical stereotypes found in the Asterix comics and then showing them one of thes films with additional tasks. As well as a French menu/cafe role-play lesson with foods for them to try out ...
    Thanks for your help. [​IMG]

2. Hi
    I am also doing text speak with some of my students.
    http://www.routesintolanguages.ac.uk/ this website is great its from southampton university and they currently have a competition running for students.
    Also if you search in the resources are there are a few good powerpoints using text speak!
    Enjoy

3. whapbapboogy

whapbapboogy New commenter

<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" class="MsoNormalTable"><tr><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#ece9d8;padding:3.75pt;">FrenchA+
    @+
    </td><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#ece9d8;padding:3.75pt;">&Agrave; plus</td><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#ece9d8;padding:3.75pt;">L8R
    CUL8R</td></tr><tr><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#ece9d8;padding:3.75pt;">A12C4a2m1
    @2m1
    </td><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#ece9d8;padding:3.75pt;">&Agrave; demain</td><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#ece9d8;padding:3.75pt;">CU2moro</td></tr><tr><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#ece9d8;padding:3.75pt;">ALPChez
    Je sais</td><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#ece9d8;padding:3.75pt;">At the home of
    I know</td></tr><tr><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#ece9d8;padding:3.75pt;">Chu
    Chui
    Chuis
    </td><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#ece9d8;padding:3.75pt;">Je suis</td><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#ece9d8;padding:3.75pt;">I am</td></tr><tr><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#ece9d8;padding:3.75pt;">C mal1d'ac
    dak
    </td><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#ece9d8;padding:3.75pt;">D'accord</td><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#ece9d8;padding:3.75pt;">OK</td></tr><tr><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#ece9d8;padding:3.75pt;">DSLENTK
    EntouK
    </td><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#ece9d8;padding:3.75pt;">En tout cas</td><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#ece9d8;padding:3.75pt;">IAC</td></tr><tr><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#ece9d8;padding:3.75pt;">FAIJe v&eacute;
    J'v&eacute;
    </td><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#ece9d8;padding:3.75pt;">Je vais</td><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#ece9d8;padding:3.75pt;">I'm going</td></tr><tr><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#ece9d8;padding:3.75pt;">JMSKan
    Kandkestufou
    Ksk t'fu
    </td><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#ece9d8;padding:3.75pt;">Qu'est-ce que tu fous ?</td><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#ece9d8;padding:3.75pt;">What the hell are you doing?</td></tr><tr><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#ece9d8;padding:3.75pt;">Kip-&ecirc;
    pitit
    </td><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#ece9d8;padding:3.75pt;">Peut-&ecirc;tre</td><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#ece9d8;padding:3.75pt;">Maybe</td></tr><tr><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#ece9d8;padding:3.75pt;">PTDRPo
    P&ocirc;q-c q
    queske
    </td><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#ece9d8;padding:3.75pt;">Qu'est-ce que</td><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#ece9d8;padding:3.75pt;">What</td></tr><tr><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#ece9d8;padding:3.75pt;">qqTt
    tt
    </td><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#ece9d8;padding:3.75pt;">T'&eacute;tais
    tout</td><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#ece9d8;padding:3.75pt;">You were
    all, every</td></tr><tr><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#ece9d8;padding:3.75pt;">V1y a
    ya
    </td><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#ece9d8;padding:3.75pt;">Il y a</td><td style="background-color:transparent;border:#ece9d8;padding:3.75pt;">There is, there are</td></tr></table>French Texting Rules:Dropping silent letters, especially at the end of a word, like parl for parle
    Patterns:2 replaces DE
    Tip:If all else fails, try reading the symbol out loud. :)

4. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

I once did a swear word lesson (admittedly it was my last one at that school, Y11 had finished all their exams and I didn't really care!). I did a powerpoint and all - matching up activity as a starter (English words suitably starred up), then a few "your moma" insults that they had to translate, they loved it! Possibly the only lesson they actually remember. Not sure I'd have the guts to do it still, but one of my proud moments.
    A few slang phrases:
    J'en ai marre - I'm fed up
    Non mais j'hallucine - I must be dreaming
    J'en ai rien &agrave; fiche/J'en ai rien &agrave; faire/J'en ai rien &agrave; battre - I don't give a damn (the polite version)
    Je kiffe - I like
    J'en ai plein les bottes - I'm at the end of my tethers
    Quel ... &agrave; la con - what a stupid ...
    C'est pourri - it's messed up
    un poil - a bit (as in, un poil exag&eacute;r&eacute;, etc)
    &ccedil;a craint - it's rubbish
    MDR - mort de rire (LOL)
    c'est un truc de ouf - it's crazy (teach them about verlan, it's really cool, at least used to be when I used to be young, 10 years ago!)
    il faut pas me chercher - don't push it

5. mr6 noemie and the other two posters too. Did a lesson today and they really enjoyed it!
    @+ & biz
    :)