1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

French private tutor

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by teachme19, Sep 28, 2019.

1. teachme19

teachme19 New commenter

Hi,
    I am new to private tutoring. I am having my first session next week, teaching primary French which I have taught in school before as a teacher. I am not sure what to prepare for my first session for my 2 primary tutees. Any advice from experienced tutors will be welcome.
    Thanks

2. alsoamum

alsoamum Occasional commenter

Do you know what French they've already done? If not the maybe start with something very simple like greetings, numbers or colours. Matching games or Kim's game are good for vocab and assessing.

3. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

Primary could be anything from age 4 to 11
    When you say tutees do you mean together or are they separate lessons
    Either way, when I teach primary I tend to find you can't do enough numbers, colours, animals , food, ice cream flavours, hair eyes that kind of thing
    Adapt existing games they're used to and do that in French. I teach them hair, glasses beard etc and play guess who. You can also do some body parts with Mr Potato Head
    If they've done some French before, get them to show you what they know
    Get yourself a load of stickers!

4. teachme19

teachme19 New commenter

Thank you all for the ideas.
    They are in year 2 and 3. The one in year 3 has started learning French this year and has basic knowledge. It is an hour session for both of them.

5. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I was originally a secondary teacher and my only experience of primary was when I used to do the liaison lessons for our school for about year 5 or 6.
    I quickly learned , as a tutor, that I now need to check that they know things in English E. G months etc before doing them in another language as some are only 4 years old but they love learning