1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

French phrases please

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by BelleBaby, Mar 23, 2011.

1. I have a French pupil starting in my class in September (Reception) and she has no English. Could anyone help me with some simple phrases in French that I can learn in order to help her settle in the first few weeks? Or know where I can go to look for translations? My high-school French only stretches to asking for the bill and I like ice skating, so I'm after something more suitable for a four year old such as...
    How are you?
    Do you understand?
    What's wrong?
    Do you need the toilet?
    Well done
    See you tomorrow
    Are you hurt?

2. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

Comment vas-tu? or Comment tu vas ? (more colloquial )
    Tu comprends?
    Qu'est-ce qu'il y a ?
    Tu veux aller au toilettes ? or easier Tu veux faire pipi ?
    Très bien!
    A demain
    Tu as mal ?
    But, honestly, you should speak to her in English as that's what her parents would want! Plus, trying to speak French with an incomprehensible accent will only confuse her. Children pick it up very quickly, within days ( I speak from experience of my own children here, they were fluent within a few months) Good luck, what you are trying to do is very noble, but not really necessary.

3. funambule

funambule New commenter

You might like to look at the `Talking Pen' by Mantra Lingua. They produce charts of common phrases which can be used with the pen. You could purchase the sound files in both French and English to use with the chart. In that way she would get a good model of pronunciation in both languages. Very child friendly and fun!

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I agree, first & foremost, you need to be helping the child fit in ith her peers who will be speaking English.
    However what many teachers do is make labels round the classroom- Mother-tongue (or pictures if not able to read ) & English, to help the child settle, plus some laminated cards with 'Puis-je faire pipi?' one side & picture/ English other etc. The other children will really help & you'll be surprised how quickly they settle.

5. When I was training, we were told to prepare for any EAL pupils by having such things as Lara suggested - as well as learning a few simple phrases. My concern about that is the same as I have with Phrase books; you can ask the questions but you'd have no idea what the answer you receive means if it's anything more than "yes" or "no" or involved pointing. I can also see that it'd be comforting, and probably funny, for the child to hear Enlgish people speak French [​IMG]
    Is there someone at the school that is in charge of MFL? If s/he speaks French s/he might be a useful contact for the child in the early days.
    Do her parents speak English? Maybe you could ask them what they would like?
    At the age of 4 or 5 she will indeed pick up the language quickly.