1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

French Open

Discussion in 'Personal' started by minnie me, Sep 27, 2020.

1. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Azarenka - diva. ‘I live in Florida - it’ s too cold ‘ . Walks off court . I hope the respective tennis association has the balls ( no pun intended ) to default her. Nadal whining similarly ( climate and the choice of tennis ball ) . Easy answer - don’t play. Grrrrrr ....

nomad and needabreak like this.
  2. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

If they run around they'll get warm!

Mind, I wouldn't want to be playing cricket this weekend!

minnie me and nomad like this.
  3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

"I live in Florida, I'm used to hot weather. It's ridiculous, it's too cold. What's the point? We're sitting here like ducks."

And with that Belarussian Victoria Azarenka refuses to continue playing Danka Kovinic and walks off.

One would think she is used to cold weather. The Belarus climate ranges from harsh winters, with average January temperatures at -6°C, to cool and moist summers with an average temperature of 18°C.

4. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I am more intrigued at the ease she chooses to give up on the chance to earn thousands (often hundreds of thousands) of dollars just because it is a bit cold.

Obviously elite tennis players will indeed struggle not to become divas or spoiled brats.

But not wanting to deal with an hour or so of cold over big, big money is most weird and I cannot get that mindset at all. She should also consider that yes, the money is amazing but it will stop immediately when the younger players eventually push her aside.

Get out there and play.

5. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

She's right though. It is too cold to stage a grand Slam event.
    (She's played 3 weeks out of the last 4 after a long lay off. Win and runner up. She's no weakling)

6. LondonCanary

She 's won $ 1.8 million this year already.

7. colacao17

colacao17 Lead commenter

Doesn't take long to become acclimatised to something warmer.

8. LondonCanary

Anyway, she's through now 6-1, 6-2.

9. rararasputin

rararasputin Lead commenter

minnie me likes this.
  10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Doesn't take long to develop a stroppy diva attitude, either! :D

minnie me likes this.
  11. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

And cold weather is more likely to lead to injuries.

LondonCanary likes this.
  12. LondonCanary

It's the same as the Nike US Open collection. There was no new design for Paris. Svitolina wears it well. in another color scheme.

13. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Maybe she wasn’t happy about not playing on Chatrier ? Anyhow truly gone down in my estimation and I want anyone but her to win the title :D ..,just imagine if the number 93 in the world had tried the same tack :rolleyes:. Poor show

nomad likes this.
  14. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Ah hang on, I cannot access many sites on this tablet....so she did complete the match but had a moan?

15. LondonCanary

Kovinic didn't want to wait court side either and agreed to walk off too.

16. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Should have put on their thermals!

17. LondonCanary

They were a bit overdressed for tennis, as it was.
    [​IMG]

18. LondonCanary

Halep indoors on Chatrier, 2nd set.
    upload_2020-9-27_13-52-9.png

19. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

She is walked off after 3 games then returned to complete and won it. I would not have given her the optiono_O.

dumpty and nomad like this.
  20. LondonCanary

She walked off with her opponent when they were told to wait court side to see if the weather improved. They came back after 45 mins when the rain stopped.