1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

French GCSE results AQA Summer 2011

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by cassiopee, Aug 26, 2011.

1. vacherin

vacherin New commenter

I know it is mi for moi but apart from that...

2. veverett

veverett Occasional commenter

It's more likely to be relevance/content with AQA than accuracy/quality. Then if content is marked low, the language mark is automatically depressed.

3. vacherin

vacherin New commenter

Still o news of the re-marks requested. Perhaps I am the only one who has requested any?

4. vacherin

vacherin New commenter

Re-marks are back. All 10 sent up, all made a grade change!! Yippee!! ....but should we have had to resort to requesting these re-marks?

pascuam49 likes this.
  5. minka1

minka1 Occasional commenter

Good to see you got such positive results from your remarks and no, you shouldn't have had to resort to requesting the remarks.
    Does anyone have any stats on which subjects have the most request for remarks and which subjects have most resultant changes in grades?
    Do the exam boards have an acceptable level of error? Or alternatively are the exam boards given an acceptable level of error by their governing body (whoever that is) before they are asked to explain themselves or action is taken?

6. toadman

toadman Occasional commenter

So glad you got the right outcome, Vacherin.

7. toadman

As you say. it's a pity that you had to appeal or rather ask for a review. We were pleased with our IGCSE AQA results in both languages.

8. toadman

BTW dare I say it- probably the end of this thread now?

9. gsglover

gsglover Occasional commenter

It probably is. It has been a thoroughly enjoyable thread which has highlighted many issues (being sad, I have re-read all the posts!) and has had a positive effect on the world of examining. As we enter another phase in GCSE testing (albeit a familiar one to those of us who have been teaching for so long), I wonder what the future holds.

10. veverett

I wonder if the new GCSE will have a better spread of marks across the grades. Current GCSE can have grades A to E squeezed into 9 marks. Eg Higher Listening 27 for an A but 18 would have been an E. 9 marks out of 45 cover 5 grades.

11. gsglover

I suspect that there will be a wider range of marks as there are more available but I don't think there will be grades for individual components awarded, so it may be more difficult to compare them.

12. veverett

Interesting. Thank you

13. gsglover

It will certainly be interesting to see how the first exam series goes.

14. gregcolin

gregcolin New commenter

Can anyone explain how UMS HAS BEEN replaced?

15. veverett

I suppose all 4 papers are out of same total. Add up total. Place pupils in rank order. Allocate grades by rank.

16. toadman

As I recall in pre UMS days each unit was allocated a nominal number of points say 5 at higher 3 at foundation and these were allocated according to the physical mark you got on the paper. For example, if the higher listening had 30 marks, 0-2= 0 points 3-10= 1 point 11-15= 2 points, 16-20= 3 points, 21-26= 4 points and 27-30= 5 points. So it mattered not if you got 26 or 30, they both were worth 5 points whereas on UMS every mark you scored counted.

17. veverett

If you get a low mark on one higher paper, do scores suddenly drop to 0 then?

18. veverett

No. Raw score per paper scaled to 60 then added up. Grades then allocated by total mark out of 240

19. gregcolin

gregcolin New commenter

I am a bit lost...

20. veverett

Tier of entry - candidates at the bottom end of Higher risk scoring a U.
    Grades are determined by % of pupils getting a certain mark across the country.
    So does deciding tier of entry involve some amount of second guessing what decision other schools are making?