1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

French GCSE results AQA Summer 2011

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by cassiopee, Aug 26, 2011.

1. gregcolin

gregcolin New commenter

Sadly it is starting to look like A level in terms of degree of difficulty too

2. veverett

veverett Occasional commenter

Did you notice that there is grammatical content required at GCSE which is not required at AS, only at A Level. E.g. the subjunctive in Spanish is specified for use at GCSE but is receptive use only at AS. You can't blame the exam board - the content was specified by ofqual/the DfE.

tonton_flingueur likes this.
  3. toadman

toadman Occasional commenter

I am beginning to think that a grade 9 might look a lot like a current AS grade B

4. minka1

minka1 Occasional commenter

A tumbleweed rolls across the screen.

5. minka1

minka1 Occasional commenter

My bad. Forgot this is gcse forum not A level.

6. gregcolin

gregcolin New commenter

...for the momen!

7. gregcolin

gregcolin New commenter

moment!!!!

8. vacherin

vacherin New commenter

Just wondering if this thread will ignite tomorrow- I really hope not!

9. vacherin

vacherin New commenter

Oh dear- hoped it wouldn't be me to start the ball rolling but AQA GCSE French writing marks are well down- nothing above a grade B- here is a typical profile of our top set candidates Listening Higher A* Reading higher A* Speaking A* Writing B
    Not acceptable- remarks will be requested soon!

10. nugget

nugget New commenter

I have the same problem with Edexcel. Top student (brought up bilingual) L: A*, R: A*, S: A*, writing: C...hmmmm. Second year running we've had this issue but last year French were fine and it affected just German. This year we only entered one candidate for German and results were as expected.

11. lifereallyistooshort

lifereallyistooshort New commenter

German and Spanish writing grades below expectations (AQA). For the first time ever, we also had our speaking marks for French moderated downwards. Talk about going out with a bang! Lots of remarks will be requested. Let's hope the new exam is less of a lottery.

12. -myrtille-

-myrtille- Occasional commenter

My Edexcel French Writing scores seem really high, but Listening was poor.

Top set - my Writing marks the full spread A*-C, lots of As and Bs. Exam board has given 80% of the group A or A*.

Bottom set - my Writing marks C to G, mostly Fs. Exam board has given lots of Ds and Es.

They've almost all ended up with the same overall grade I was predicting them, but their Writing marks are mostly a grade above expected, and then Listening and Reading are down on their performance in past papers.

13. LadyPsyche

LadyPsyche New commenter

I wonder if you had the same moderator as us? The effect was huge - a seven-point UMS drop. We've always had the same people mark and moderate our papers and always had excellent feedback. Not pleased.

14. gregcolin

gregcolin New commenter

Based on previous experience re-marks are the way forward- I have had over 90% success rate in boost of marks for AQA and 60% changed grades up.

pascuam49 likes this.
  15. gregcolin

gregcolin New commenter

I have never had any issues with speaking however- it has only been for writing!

16. vacherin

vacherin New commenter

Looks like there is not much complaint this year after all!!

17. veverett

veverett Occasional commenter

Bemused as to how a pupil with Bs in speaking and writing (60%) and Ds in listening and reading (40%) can come out with a D overall.

18. gregcolin

gregcolin New commenter

This is not obvious

19. vacherin

vacherin New commenter

I have had no remarks back as yet so still crossing fingers!

20. vacherin

vacherin New commenter

Here is an extract from 1 piece of work which received 17/30. It really does represent the piece correctly- topic is holidays
    Puisque mes parents adorent tous les sports nautiques, ils nous dissent toujours qu'il faut passer les vacances au bord de la mer, souvent en Espagne. Mi, j'ai toujours voulu aller a Paris, alors je suis triste chaque année.
    What do you think?