1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

French GCSE results AQA Summer 2011

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by cassiopee, Aug 26, 2011.

1. toadman

toadman Occasional commenter

Ah yes, never thought of that.

2. toadman

BTW I have the grand total of 77- maybe 100 will change things?

3. cake4tea

cake4tea New commenter

Am I correct in thinking that you're killing time on the last day, Toadman, with a rash of posts?

4. toadman

Had no lessons at all

5. toadman

am determined to get to 100 posts to see if my tag changes

6. toadman

No better thread than this one to see if it really works- however, even I can get fed up with posts like this one>

7. toadman

The > was an error- not deliberate, but felt that I needed to explain that in another post!

8. toadman

Have I been successful?

9. toadman

Obviously not!

10. gsglover

gsglover Occasional commenter

My third attempt to add something- close to abandoning this

11. minka1

minka1 Occasional commenter

Who cares? Can we keep to the subject ?

12. LadyPsyche

LadyPsyche New commenter

You're marked as an 'Occasional Commentor' now. Congratulations on your persistence! ;)

13. minka1

minka1 Occasional commenter

The last few posts make a mockery of the forums generally and this forum in particular . Some people have too much time on their hands.

14. vacherin

vacherin New commenter

I thought it was quite funny but, yes, this is meant to be a serious forum for the most part. It made me check the number of comments I have made and to realise that all the ones I made before the forum format changed have been expunged from the records (which is a shame).
    On the topic of this forum (well almost), a number of local schools here wrote to AQA about the severity of the Higher Listening this year- whilst fully accepting that students should try to access meaning by a number of different strategies as the return letter pointed out, our issue was that this was difficult, perhaps even impossible in at least one case.

15. toadman

Sorry to have upset anyone. It was just a bit of fun!

16. gsglover

Don't worry about it

17. veverett

veverett Occasional commenter

It is important that this forum exists and is kept going. It is a reminder of how the standards suddenly jumped without recognition when we moved from coursework (copy it out of your book) to controlled assessment (exam conditions), with higher level of writing expected in tougher conditions. Also the lottery that is the Reading/Listening exams with pupils scoring 3 or 4 grades different on different past papers. Also the way the board decided to mark the Writing/Speaking meaning that rote learning outscored pupils who had a repertoire of language they tried to deploy on the day.

18. gsglover

Absolutely right. Rote learning will be a thing of the past now but good pre-learning may still have a part to play.

19. veverett

veverett Occasional commenter

Rote learning wasn't meant to happen with the old controlled assessment either. Who would go and learn all that off by heart instead of doing making sure you know enough French to express yourself in response to the task? Well. All it takes is the following:
    1. Writing exam, markers told to score highly for "variety of expression" (ie pre learnt fancy stuff) over core repertoire for self-expression. So pupils who pre-learn do better.
    2. Speaking exam, markers told that where language contains errors, this means that they should ignore that part for content mark as well. So pre-learned material scores higher than pupils who concentrate on spontaneous communication.
    3. Speaking exam scored by counting how much pupils say, so pre-learned scores higher than pupils who come along ready and able to talk but with some amount of thinking on their feet which reduces the amount they pack in.
    In the first year (which is when this thread springs from) it was pupils taught to speak/write spontaneously from a repertoire of internalised language who fell down compared to pupils who learned it off by heart. It didn't have to be that way - it was the guidance to markers that did it. So watch this space for the new GCSE...
    The blurb and the markscheme might all be about spontaneous communication, but the grade boundaries will be set by how many pupils beat you. And if some of them are learning it all by rote and they win out, then we will have to follow suit.

minka1 likes this.
  20. gsglover

As there will be at least one theme and possibly many sub themes which students cannot predict in terms of actual questions that would need to be a massive amount of pre-learning (beyond everyone I would think). Mark schemes also refer to reliance on pre-learnt material. It is starting to look a bit more like the A level speaking in terms of not rewarding pre-learning so much.