1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

French GCSE results AQA Summer 2011

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by cassiopee, Aug 26, 2011.

1. gregcolin

gregcolin New commenter

Even better if you do igcse!!

2. vacherin

vacherin New commenter

I just hope the new GCSE is more leniently graded!

3. vacherin

vacherin New commenter

I wonder what the original poster makes of the massive response to the initial post. The sheer fact that this thread has created such a response means that all is still not well in the assessment world. Hence my previous comment!!

4. toadman

toadman New commenter

Totally agree with the point about the longevity of this thread but it must end in the summer I guess..

5. veverett

veverett New commenter

The whole point is that the new GCSE is going to be more demanding. But in the first year they said they would keep parity of % of students getting certain grades. So does that mean they will get the grade even if they are not strictly meeting the criteria? And what does it mean for subsequent years?

6. toadman

toadman New commenter

As I see it there will be a similarity in percentages being awarded a C and a level 4 in new money but that is useless as a 4 has no real currency now, even allowing for progress 8

7. toadman

toadman New commenter

On this topic- perhaps it soon won't matter so much if people get a level 5?

8. cake4tea

cake4tea New commenter

Looking at the targets we've got, Grade 5 is the least ofour problems!

9. toadman

toadman New commenter

Agreed!

10. veverett

veverett New commenter

Just done 2016 paper as a mock with Y11. Notice that the Spanish H Reading was quite a hard paper and the thresholds tougher than normal. The Foundation tier was hardish (similar to the old old GCSE Higher tier) but the thresholds slightly more reasonable. We haven't looked at the Foundation in previous years because pupils needed to get something like 29/35 for a C. If they were getting that score, they'd be doing higher! But in 2016 Foundation would have been a better option for pupls needing a C. So should I put pupils in for it? Or will AQA move the thresholds again!??!!!??!

11. toadman

toadman New commenter

Bound to I would think

12. veverett

veverett New commenter

The thing is, on the Foundation Tier it can be as little as 2 marks between grades. But then the thresholds can change by 3 or 4 marks from year to year. So it is just a lottery!

13. cake4tea

cake4tea New commenter

The biggest lottery is the oral examiner - the inconsistency between years and languages is massive.

pascuam49 and Elly40 like this.
  14. vacherin

vacherin New commenter

Given the degree of difficulty of the higher listening paper yesterday, maybe there will still be life in this thread in 2017?

petitejoueuse likes this.
  15. vacherin

vacherin New commenter

over 300,000 views. Wow!!

16. gregcolin

gregcolin New commenter

and counting...

17. minka1

minka1 New commenter

Could you tell me, 300 000 views of what?

18. cake4tea

cake4tea New commenter

This thread!

19. toadman

toadman New commenter

Won't go away!!

20. gregcolin

gregcolin New commenter

I wonder if there will be a new thread next summer?