1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

French GCSE results AQA Summer 2011

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by cassiopee, Aug 26, 2011.

1. kate2521

kate2521 New commenter

Several Spanish oral marks lowered for the first time ever. About five who we marked as C were downgraded to E/D borderline but the top grades were left as they were. This means that those pupils ended up getting Ds instead of Cs so we'll be requesting re-marks, I hope. I can't believe it. We've had problems with the writing in the past, but never speaking. Makes me so angry. I know what a C grade in speaking sounds like.

2. veverett

veverett New commenter

Watch out with oral re-marks. I'm not sure you get individual re-marks. You challenge the whole moderation, which would risk the marks of candidates you are happy with, and not just ones in the sample. So you would have to get the permission of all the candidates? I may be wrong about this, as this sounds impractical, but do check with your exams officer exactly how it works.

3. kate2521

kate2521 New commenter

Thanks - that's helpful. I sent off all the marks, not just a sample, as it was a small class and they've lowered everyone's - some by 12 and 13 UMS. I only want half re-marked as it didn't change the grade on all of them, but Idon't mind if they re-mark them all.

4. veverett

veverett New commenter

Yes - check with your exams officer how it works.

5. veverett

veverett New commenter

Exams officer has passed on the moderator's report for AQA Spanish speaking. They say that if there's more than a couple of words pronounced so you can't understand them, then 2 is the max. Not sure that quite fits the mark scheme, especially with a very good but very nervous candidate. Also they say that where there are pronunciation or accuracy errors it means you can't give credit for content. That sounds a bit dodgy too!

6. toadman

toadman New commenter

You cannot get specific candidates re-moderated. It has to be the same sample re-done as was initially selected by a computer program at the exam board, obviously containing the highest and lowest non-zero mark. It actually does make sense, although individual candidates you want re-moderating may never have been heard in the first place!

7. toadman

toadman New commenter

Regarding Vincent's comments, there is definitely no such rule about number of words mis-pronounced. Feedback forms are often unhelpful and inaccurate I feel.

8. vacherin

vacherin New commenter

On a positive note, our writings were correctly marked this year!!

9. toadman

toadman New commenter

Well done

10. nottinghill12

nottinghill12 New commenter

I wonder how everyone will find the new style gcse

11. toadman

toadman New commenter

Similar to the igcse which is really good as we have started this!

12. vacherin

vacherin New commenter

Went to a PIXL meeting at the Oval earlier this month and the talk about the new AQA GCSE in terms of practicality of teaching was superb

13. vacherin

vacherin New commenter

Anybody else go?

14. toadman

toadman New commenter

I did not go, but a colleague said the talk was informative and fun!

15. gsglover

gsglover New commenter

16. parkert

parkert New commenter

I have been an examiner and team leader for Edexcel GCSE French writing for about 10 years now. Every year I get an excellent report on the accuracy of my marking. So when I mark the German GCSE writing for my class, I knew what I was doing, what examiners are looking for, what gets the higher marks etc. I always mark my class very strictly anyway to avoid disappointments. This is the second year that my GCSE German writing marks were 1-2 grades below what I marked them at. How can this be? I had students I gave an A to getting a C! This really implies that I don't how to mark! To get it wrong on a borderline (e.g. I said bottom B and the examiner gave a top C), fair enough. But to go from an A to a C! All teachers know what constitutes a C and an A. They are vastly different and impossible to mark wrongly unless you are the world's most incompetent teacher. So this year I have changed tactic. Firstly, I looked at the examiners' reports for speaking and writing and looked at the phrases the examiners liked and said got the students higher marks. I have drilled those into my Y11 German class and make them use them all the time in their speaking and writing. I'm also marking even more strictly. I hear you all and I am so glad you are all suffering with me. This is killing our subject.

17. toadman

toadman New commenter

I think that the main problem is online standardising which is never as good as face to face meetings but in these times of economic constraint I fear that fairness and accuracy have been sacrificed to economics!

18. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

Have you looked at the grade boundaries for A star in reading and listening for 2016 compared to last year?

19. toadman

toadman New commenter

This will change the year after next but at present the only wriggle room as I understand it at awarding is in listening and reading as boundaries for the controlled assessment elements (Speaking and writing) do not change. Given the fact that teachers and students get better at the controlled assessments with time, there must be a pinch on grading in the receptive skill areas.

20. vacherin

vacherin New commenter

This is true so even better that there soon won't be CAs