1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

French GCSE results AQA Summer 2011

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by cassiopee, Aug 26, 2011.

1. toadman

toadman Occasional commenter

I guess that the answer might be neither- the thresholds seem to fluctuate to cope with the quality of the cohort in that skill and elsewhere too I guess if the controlled assessment thresholds are constant.

2. toadman

On a different tack, perhaps this thread will soon be popular again?

3. veverett

veverett Occasional commenter

Just spotted that I bagged post #2000 on this thread, and just sneaked in as the last post on page 100! Doesn't make up for the grades pupils got in 2011 though!

4. gsglover

gsglover Occasional commenter

5. veverett

Students are commenting that the AQA Spanish Listening GCSE didn't give them time to write the answer to the last question. Massive pause before the question, then as soon as the passage was read, it was "End of Test". Anyone else had the same complaints?

6. ambi

ambi New commenter

gregcolin likes this.
  7. ambi

ambi New commenter

I felt that there was definitely less time built in to answer questions this year both in the French and Spanish AQA GCSE. For the Higher Spanish I really felt there was not enough time particularly at the end of question 3 and also the last question to answer.

8. gsglover

Glad to see this thread is not yet dead!

9. cake4tea

cake4tea New commenter

It'll come back to life big style on results day!

10. toadman

I do hope not

11. gsglover

Actually toadman it won't affect you as you are doing Level 1/2 certificate I believe or is that just in 1 language?

12. gregcolin

gregcolin New commenter

I failed to keep photocopies of the writing controlled assessments which is a real pain- just hope the writing is marked correctly this year!

13. gsglover

As do we all!

14. minka1

minka1 Occasional commenter

2nd day after A level results came out and could it be the exam boards got it right this year?

15. Kleeblatt

Kleeblatt New commenter

Well I've just seen WJECs 'Centre Statistics' for 2016 and have to say I'm worried. German in particular is really low. Obviously I'm only seeing % at each grade, but it is safe to say I am dreading what tomorrow holds...

16. toadman

French certificate results amazing 100% A*to B. GCSE Spanish down again on writing

17. toadman

How was it for everyone else?

18. hannahlb123

hannahlb123 New commenter

We unfortunately found that our French speaking was moderated down - first time since 2010 with experienced staff marking and standardising together. This has meant that a significant amount of students have dropped to the grade below, which we really did not expect to happen. Did anyone else find this?

19. veverett

Edexcel grade boundaries seem to be hitting the headlines. 60% (24/40) = a grade U on the higher paper??
    Although AQA Spanish H tier also have an oddity with a grade range of ONE mark! You need 19 for an E. 20 would be a D. 18 is a U.

20. -myrtille-

-myrtille- Occasional commenter

Mine were about as expected (with Edexcel) this year.

Results weren't particularly great but we have compulsory MFL for all, and the school also had a massive push on improving English, Maths and Science results, with extra lessons after school, which had a knock-on effect on pupils' motivation in languages. So my predictions were pretty conservative and overall I had a couple of pleasant surprises and a couple which were a little lower, but nothing shocking.

If anything, my results tended to the middle - I was predicting my group grades A to F, and they ended up B to E. I'm disappointed for one or two of the Bs and will have a look at their Writing score in case it seems worth requesting a remark for them.