1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

French GCSE results AQA Summer 2011

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by cassiopee, Aug 26, 2011.

1. gsglover

gsglover New commenter

That is a possibility I suppose

2. gsglover

gsglover New commenter

How ironic!!

3. toadman

toadman New commenter

I was wondering if the new GCSE specifications will attract as many posts as this when they start spewing out results? What do you think (he says, trying grimly to attract more support for these blogs)

4. cake4tea

cake4tea New commenter

There'll be fewer grounds for complaint as you won't see what the kids produce in the written exam so it might attract fewer remarks. Not the case for speaking though, so staff under pressure might put all their eggs into one basket, ie trying to get speaking marks improved. I think I'll try to retire in July 2018!

5. minka1

minka1 New commenter

French GCSE results AQA Summer 2011
    Slightly out of date title don't you think? Time for a new thread perhaps or is it more important for some people to get to 2000 posts or 100+ plus pages.

6. gsglover

gsglover New commenter

Yes, I see it as a personal goal

7. veverett

veverett New commenter

I think we should keep it going until AQA decide to mark consistently.

8. gsglover

gsglover New commenter

I think that I have made well over 70 posts on this thread alone but still remain a new commenter!

9. minka1

minka1 New commenter

Surely the only way to solve the problem in the gcse exam marking system is to have double marking for a year or two. May be expensive in short term but may reinstil confidence in the marking system or show the systems flaws once and for all and get the govt to take the problem seriously.

10. toadman

toadman New commenter

It would be cripplingly expensive I fear

11. toadman

toadman New commenter

May I also echo the new commenter issue- I have made over 1000 posts- how many does it take to lose the soubriquet 'new'?

12. minka1

minka1 New commenter

Which sobriquet would you prefer toadman? Perhaps 'wise,old,sage'?

13. minka1

minka1 New commenter

"Most marking is now done online by individual markers marking just one or two questions – so-called “item level” marking. Online marking also makes centralised checking of markers easier. So if schools are concerned about their grades the issue is as likely to be an administrative error as a poor marker. Exam watchdog Ofqual is getting tougher and looking more closely at the systems employed by the exam boards – much to the relief of schools."
    Barnaby Lenon is chairman of the Independent Schools Council and former headmaster of Harrow.
    https://www.tes.com/news/school-new...s-we-need-a-national-campaign-reverse-decline
    Is this true? And if so, end of problem?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  14. gsglover

gsglover New commenter

Sadly, the method you outline for GCSE MFL refers only to reading and listening M/C questions, not to writing

15. toadman

toadman New commenter

Indeed!

16. toadman

toadman New commenter

I cannot even imagine the cost of double marking- single marking seems to cost the exam providers enough already!

17. toadman

toadman New commenter

Notice I am still deemed as 'new'- got me thinking of other categories- decrepit perhaps?

18. gsglover

gsglover New commenter

You said it

19. megmogndowl

megmogndowl New commenter

Interestingly I was at an AQA GCSE course yesterday and for the first time ever I heard them admit that there have been major issues with the marking of paper 4 since the beginning of this specification and that they still hadn't got it right!! Fills me with so much confidence for this summer...

20. veverett

veverett New commenter

Used one of the past January papers for Spanish and pupils' grades have shot up. Have they really improved or were the thresholds inconsistent?