1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

French for a 5 year old confined at home

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by cathr, Mar 25, 2020.

1. cathr

cathr Occasional commenter

Hoping to use your expertise! My 5 y.o. grand daughter is English speaking at home but goes to school in a French speaking environment as she is schooled in Switzerland. Her French is not as fluent as her English but she easily string sentences which would challenge GCSE MFL students (eg: ''il manque une main'' , '' j'ai mis un pantalon').

As she is confined at home, I have started a daily 20 minutes video-conference with short French speaking activities and games (I am a native speaker). The idea is to keep her French going so that the ground made since she started reception in September, is not lost. We are treating the 20 minutes slot as a bonding exercise as I am not sure when I am going to be able to travel to see her again. I am therefore not looking for websites or TV programs, just a real exchange between the two of us (and her mother in the background to help).
    So far we have done directed drawings, beetle game, grouping words according to their initial sound, odd one out and today a very successful volcano with vinegar and baking soda. I am running out of ideas!! The Swiss don't push literacy skills very hard at this age so she does not know her alphabet fully yet and is struggling with the concept of matching letter to sounds.

Any ideas gratefully received!

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

My first idea is do you have any children's picture books? We often based work on simple books like Ours Brun, Ours Brun, Babar (Think I've got a powerpoint resource on this site. Free to download) , Le Petit prince and other titles which escape me at the moment. Reading together and showing her the pictures will all help. I know I made French and German versions of 'The hungry Caterpillar, because they were so familiar with the story they could easily follow. ( I was Primary Languages by the way.)

I'm now retired I'll have a quick search and see if I can find other titles for you.
    Elmer if not already in French is easily translatable and lends itself to making Elmer collages 'Splat games with colours etc.
    '

cathr and bonxie like this.
  3. Lara mfl 05

Books titles here at this site https://www.little-linguist.co.uk/ any ones which she can join in with repetition is good.

and although I know you said you didn't want websites, this https://www.mamalisa.com/?t=ec&c=22 is a site of songs to jog your memory, for you to peruse and sing with your granddaughter.. Possible ones you haven't sung in years and have forgotten ones. I used to find any ones lending themselves to 'finger action' or actions always went down well.

cathr and bonxie like this.
  4. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

French for "a 5 year old confined at home" - I believe it's "un enfant de 5 ans confiné à la maison".

I'm surprised you didn't know this ...

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. cathr

I have tri
    I am not sure of your point? Maybe my title was badly worded? Add an exclamation mark to your translation and it sounds like an outraged newspaper title....!

6. cathr

Thank you Lara. Books are not really an option as W. cannot see the picture on the phone tiny screen:(. I have tried and failed miserably: without the book actually in her hands she gets distracted.

7. cathr

The old Tricolore books used to have lots of games in the Teacher's book but unfortunately I only have Tricolore 2 teacher's book in my library and the games are too sophisticated for a 5 year old ( bar the beetle game which worked very well). Wish I had kept Tricolore 1!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Harsh-but-fair was just teasing you. :)

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. Lara mfl 05

Always the way. I've kept a lot of my Langs stuff and keep thinking I should get rid but at times like this I perhaps would need. In fact I've just read 'The three Little pigs' to my granddaughters over the net. Will have to practice finding the correct position to hold the book so they could see the screen though.

10. cathr

That's exactly the problem I had with my story book...

11. cathr

One idea for stranded grand-mothers: Get child to cut up a 'farandole' i.e a paper family (I think that's how to describe this in English...)

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  12. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

How about a few minutes each session with post-it notes. She names objects in the room, or you teach her the words, and they get written by her mother on a post-it note which your grand-daughter then sticks to the object. The written word is then there for her to see afterwards (sellotaped on if needs-be) and will help to make the letter/sound associations.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  13. cathr

Unfortunately she is only 5 and cant read ....

14. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I thought you were asking for ideas that helped her match letters to sounds and built on the work that has been done so far on initial sounds of words?

15. cathr

she can just about recognise 5 letters :(