1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

French films suitable for Y7, 8 & 9?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by rosaespanola, Jul 8, 2007.

1. We do a project based on Bienvenue chez les ch'tis. The kids love it and it is rated 12A in the UK

2. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

Ok, this is what I show....
    Year 7: Asterix and the Vikings/Mr Bean on Holiday (set in France, lots of cultural references)
    Year 8: Asterix and Cleopatra, Les Choristes (though probably better in year 9), Taxi 2
    Year 9/year 10: Les Choristes, Priceless, Brice de Nice (skip the first scene, although it'd probably go over some of the kid's heads.)
    Year 11: Les visiteurs (again, I haven't test drove this one yet),

There's also Au revoir les enfants, which I haven't shown with any class yet, but I imagine, it would be best for a year 10 class. I wouldn't show either Taxi or Taxi 3, (both '15')
    especially Taxi 3, as there are some really inappropriate sexual scenes in it. Amélie, I thought would work, but my year 11 class thought it was so weird, they didn't like it!
    I hope this helps.
    MM

3. NNS

NNS New commenter

This thread is really old, but you would think that with a few years gone by, there would be more films to show... and yet, I still find it hard to please my students!
    I must say I absolutely hate playing Disney films in French/Spanish/whatever other language. Everyone does that and it's a bit of a cop out to be honest. It's fun, but I don't actually believe students learn anything at all from it- French is too fast to understand anything, so they read subtitles and don't listen, and if you play the film in English with French subtitles, they ignore the subtitles altogether.
    While usually kids I teach are great, I do find that they do not appreciate a lot of French films and find them quite bizarre or slow. I feel a bit torn between having an easy last lesson of the term and trying to force them to watch something 'different', sometimes at the cost of yawning, complaining and students asking if they can just draw instead...
    My experiences so far:
    My year 7 students absolutely hated Asterix and Obelix:Mission Cleopatre- the film must have aged quite a bit since I first played it to my first y7 group a few years back- now it gets a few forced laughs here and there. Kirikou was a bit of an exception from the rule-great fun and after some giggles at the beginning, kids actually love it. Never got a complain.
    Also for younger pupils, this year I brought from France Kerity la maison des contes, showed it to y8 with a mixed success.
    Taxi 2 which is '12' got thumbs up, there is one scene with some questionable language (the scene with giving birth in the cab hinting at threesome etc), but sometimes I just skip it. I do not mind a swear word or two to be honest (neither do the kids)- I was taught French swear words in school by my amazing French teacher who thought it was important to know all sorts of stuff, not just GCSE vocabulary. It came in extremely handy when I moved to France to study! But not all students can handle it.
    My older students enjoyed Je vais bien, ne t'en fais pas, but that was a y11 class.
    Les Choristes are great- and I think all year groups really enjoy it.

I also got my hands on a copy of Monsieur Lazhare- it's a great film, potentially for y9 and oder ('12'), although on a difficult topic- starts off with a suicide of a teacher and shows how the school deals with the aftermath. No horrible details, the body of the teacher is only shown from a distance. I really thought it would be engaging and as I said, a great film, but as quite a few students in my school have a difficult background, including one whose sibling fairly recently committed suicide, I would definitely not play it for the time being, but maybe someone else can benefit from it.

musiclover1 likes this.
  4. Random175

Random175 New commenter

I use 'Petit Nicholas' and 'Les vacances de Petit Nicholas' PG - they love them. Days of Glory also goes down well particularly with the boys (12).

Totally agree with the comments about showing children films which are not age appropriate. We should not do it.

5. julianwh

julianwh New commenter

Here is a link to some French childrens films that are available on dvd in the UK -

http://www.worldonlinecinema.com/Home/european-cinema-themes#TOC-FRENCH-CHILDREN-S-FILMS

Also below is a link to online resources for French films -

http://www.worldonlinecinema.com/Home/online-resources-listed-by-film#TOC-FRENCH-DVDS-

A level French set films and texts -

http://www.worldonlinecinema.com/a-...ENCH-FILMS-AND-LITERATURE-FROM-SEPTEMBER-2016

Feedback always welcome.
    Julian
    Website - www.worldonlinecinema.com
    On Twitter - https://twitter.com/JulainW
    New dvd release blog - http://julianwhiting.wordpress.com

6. cathr

cathr Occasional commenter

That is a 15!

7. lifereallyistooshort

lifereallyistooshort New commenter

8. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

:) Maybe if the film censors had to certificate TV series and soaps as well we'd get a very different notion of what constitutes 12/15/18 material.

9. tesdanie

tesdanie New commenter

The Asterix series are PGs, Y7 enjoy La Gloire de mon père and the other Pagnol films, Petit Nicolas, Boule & Bill. Priceless, les Choristes and Taxi 2 are 12s Neuilly Sa Mèe is great but I'm not sure it's been certified and it does have the odd 'motherf*' in the subtitles, Adele Blanc-Sec is a 12 or PG

10. cathr

cathr Occasional commenter

My very favorite is 'La grande vadrouille'. A comedy with Louis de Funes, it is WW2 based. Shows lovely views of Paris as well as some interesting sights such as the Hospice in Beaune ( amazing roof). The story is easy to follow even with limited language ability. From a teaching point of view, one can indulge in discussing the issues surrounding war in general, the attitudes of French people towards 'occupation', the resistance, the concept of stereotypes ( the film is full of them!) and much more. The language-based opportunities are also endless.

11. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

Have you found Two Brothers? English but with big bits of French as set in Indochine. Two tigers who get separated and find each other again. Ahhhh!