1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

French films suitable for Y7, 8 & 9?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by rosaespanola, Jul 8, 2007.

1. sam enerve

sam enerve New commenter

I have acopy of Simenon's "the blue room" somewhere...that's a "15".

2. Geekie

Geekie Occasional commenter

miss303 - nobody teaches my children because they are not yet of school age. It was a way of pointing out that I am the person that decides what my children watch and when, not you. I, as a parent, would like to make an informed decision about what my children see. I would expect to receive a letter from the school in advance so that I can make that informed decision. As teachers we are all duty-bound to uphold the values of Child Protection.

http://www.cbbfc.co.uk/faqs.asp

Can you advise me on the legal position of a class teacher who decides to show (during school time) nine year old children a film rated 15 without first obtaining parental permission?

As far as we are aware, it is not illegal for schools to show BBFC-rated videos to its pupils. Merely showing an age restricted tape to underaged persons - or allowing them to see one - is not in itself an offence. We would however strongly discourage such a practice unless (1) the children in question are only a year or so below the age stated on the certificate, and (b) there is some kind of serious educational purpose to showing the recording (eg showing a '15' rated MACBETH to 14 year old GCSE English students). Even in those cases, we always recommend that the school should first obtain permission from parents or guardians.

3. Regarding the rating of films and showing them to younger children, the British Film Institute states:
    https://secure.bfi.org.uk/education/about/faqs.html

Am I allowed to show Certificate 18/15/12 material to underage pupils/students?
    The certification of videos by the British Board of Film Classification does have legal force but applies only to video stores selling or renting videos to under-age kids. The cinema certification has an advisory function only, which simply allows local authorities to refuse to licence cinemas in breach of the certification guidance, should they wish to do so. Thus, neither form of BBFC certification applies to school usage. Given that you are in loco parentis you would be within your rights to choose whatever you want to show to your pupils. If 16 or 17 year old pupils needs to see an '18' rated film, for example, for educational purposes, it would be sensible to make arrangements for them to be shown the film in a classroom setting (ie. as opposed to supplying them with a tape or disc to take home), and to obtain parental consent. You should explain clearly what you are showing and why, and make clear the terms of the BBFC certification.

Regarding copyright and the showing of films in schools, here?s what the ICT4LT website states:
    http://www.ict4lt.org/en/en_copyright.htm#audvideo

Most commercially produced DVDs and videocassettes carry a warning indicating that they can only be used for private and not public screening. DVDs or videocassettes shown in educational institutions for the purposes of "instruction" are normally not considered as public screenings, so they can be shown if they are used for teaching rather than for "entertainment". If you have bought or hired a movie on DVD or videocassette and are charging an entry fee or allowing non-members of the educational institution to view the movie for "entertainment" purposes then the rules are different and you need a Public Video Screening Licence (PVSL). The PVSL is also essential to cover educational institutions for screening movies for "entertainment" rather than educational purposes, such as end of term treats, wet-weather alternatives, after-school clubs, coach trips, etc. Although there is usually a clear distinction between screening for "entertainment" and screening for "instruction", it may be advisable for an educational institution to purchase a PVSL in order to cover all eventualities. The Centre for Education and Finance Management (CEFM) issues licences on payment on a modest annual fee. See the CEFM site under the heading Licensing: http://www.cefm.co.uk

4. You also have to be acreful about ratings: different country rate their movies differently! I find French (and I am french!) movies rated very high when they probably should be of a lower age!(and probably would here in UK). As for private versus public use, I am not sure where we stand, to be honest. Each time I show a movie to my classes, and it's rare to be honest, I wonder if I am doing something illegal!

Lukum x

musiclover1 likes this.
  5. I very, very occasionally show brief clips from a couple of movies that are rated 15 to pupils who are younger than that age. But the clips are used to illustrate a teaching point and do not contain any of the swearing, sex or violence that earned the film its 15 rating.

6. To all the people that have shown Kirikou to their pupils, I know its only rated a PG, but how did you get around all the women having no tops on, and all the kiddies being naked? The story was great, but bar a few sensible ones, I don't think I'd have a class full of sniggering!
    Perhaps thats just my school - I suppose for younger ones that are still innocent, it wouldn't be an issue!

7. What about leaving the whole 'French' film thing alone. I often play films e.g. Disney / Shrek which are familiar to the kids (and not a problem with regards to age certification) but switch the language used to French / Spanish. They often get alot out of it. What I will say on the film certification front. I had a complaint as a HOY about a film (15) being shown to Year 8 students. I agreed with the parent. You cannot show these films to underage children. The member of staff concerned couldn't see what she had done wrong. Messy, and a lot of time was wasted as a result. There are enough suitable films out there, for this whole situation to be avoided.

8. Lukum asked:
    "As for private versus public use, I am not sure where we stand, to be honest. Each time I show a movie to my classes, and it's rare to be honest, I wonder if I am doing something illegal!"

No, it's not illegal if you are showing the movie for educational purposes - see Posting No. 22. And there is no legal issue regarding the age rating. You are in loco parentis, and it's entirely a question of your own judgement and what you think parents mught say/do about your showing certain movies in class. We have not yet reached the stage here, as in the USA, where parents regularly take schools or teachers to court.

9. les visiteurs - not sure if it's a PG... made me cry it was so funny

10. I was a bit annoyed that 'les choristes' has the word '****' in the English subtitles. Other words in subtitles are **** and pecker... It is a certificate 12 and I was showing it to yr 9 and 10 but it still made me uncomfortable!!

11. Oops - the word that was blocked out in previous post was sh1t

12. The original version of les choristes is actually much cruder! For once, the translation is in favour of language teachers! I showed les choristes to year 7 and year 8 and they loved it!
    I actually sat between two of my year 8 who cannot read (children from the travellers community), I explained the main points of the story and was reading some of the important parts! The kids were probably more surprised by hearing their teacher say all these than by the words in the movie!
    The three TAs who usually are in my lessons were choking with laughter!

musiclover1 likes this.
  13. Oh and a TA in that class is also one of my year 7's mum and she did not see any problem in her son watching the movie. I actually gave her the movie for the weekend as she wants to watch it with the whole family!

14. "Le Le Dîner de Cons" appears to have a rude title, but it's "con" in the sense of "idiot" - not what you're thinking. It's a great comedy, but I don't think kids below a certain age would appreciate it. I have a copy on DVD - only a fiver from Amazon.

15. slick

slick New commenter

le diner des cons is certifcated at 15!

16. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

Suprisingly we didn't get much in the way of sniggerig from the kids re: Kirikou. A quick speech droning on about respecting other people's cultures usally helps.

17. Dear all,

Sorry for bringing up a topic that seems to have died in 2007 according to the last post but I was looking for French movies to buy for my classes and I am struggling to find anything appropriately rated. Even Amélie Poulain is a 15! Since this thread is a few years old, I was wondering if there had been anything in the past few years worth watching. So far, I have found Adèle Blanc-Sec but it is not released yet. I'm sure it would be great entertainement.
    The actual reason for my post is actually the following: I was wondering where, as a teacher, we stand in terms of films that have a PG rating. Parental Guidance. Kirikou and Astérix both are rated as such but I am not sure whether it would be suitable to show them or not. Can anyone help?

18. rosaespanola

rosaespanola New commenter

PG films should be fine for secondary school. My pupils' ultimate favourite is Les Choristes - I had a captivated class of Y7s earlier this week who insisted on staying for 15 minutes into lunch so they could watch it to the end because they couldn't wait until the next lesson to finish it!
    My pupils also like A la Folie...Pas du Tout (a 12 rating but quite a complicated story so best for the more intelligent end of Y9 or older), Les Visiteurs and the Taxi films (some are 12, some are 15, but it really doesn't matter if they aren't watched in the right order).

19. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Astérix et Cléopâtre is also fab and a 12, I ususally show it in Y8. Visiteurs is 15 I think.

20. rosaespanola

rosaespanola New commenter

That's true about Les Visiteurs actually. I've never been able to figure out why on earth it's a 15, it really shouldn't be!