1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

French films suitable for Y7, 8 & 9?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by rosaespanola, Jul 8, 2007.

1. rosaespanola

rosaespanola New commenter

Can anyone recommend any films in French that would be suitable for Years 7, 8 or 9? I've almost entirely lost my voice, but I feel fine in myself so I don't need to be off sick - I just can't do anything that involves me talking, so I was thinking a nice French film would be the way forward! Most of them have seen the Taxi films already, so does anyone have any suggestions for other suitable films? I'm not very well up on French films for teenagers, most of the ones I know are decidedly unsuitable!

2. rosaespanola

rosaespanola New commenter

Can anyone recommend any films in French that would be suitable for Years 7, 8 or 9? I've almost entirely lost my voice, but I feel fine in myself so I don't need to be off sick - I just can't do anything that involves me talking, so I was thinking a nice French film would be the way forward! Most of them have seen the Taxi films already, so does anyone have any suggestions for other suitable films? I'm not very well up on French films for teenagers, most of the ones I know are decidedly unsuitable!

3. PierreImport

PierreImport Administrator

Les 400 Coups.

4. Belleville Rendez-vous. It's French but there's hardly any French in it

5. Ma Femme s'appelle Maurice - very funny and suitable for Years 7, 8 and 9. Get it mailorder off the FNAC website (www.fnac.fr)or from Amazon. They'll love it!

6. I have just ordered 'Les Choristes' from play.com - £5.99 free delivery. That takes care of the last two lessons of all my groups then...

7. PierreImport

Babette's Feast has been very successful, despite the fact it is only part French..the rest being in Danish.

8. Cestrian

Cestrian New commenter

He Loves Me, He Loves Me not (A La Folie, Pas Du Tout) with Audrey Tautou - just shown it to Y9 who loved it. A great film with a weird twist!

9. sam enerve

sam enerve New commenter

PoppyAngelique how do you justify showing a "15" rated film to year 7 and 8 students? I would be sacked for this.

sam

10. Not really an issue - it's a funny film and not inappropriate at all. Use your own professional judgement Sam Enerve. Don't really thinked you'd be sacked - a little extreme perhaps!!

fanatic1 likes this.

11. Have they seen TAXI 3 as well? This is a 15 but there is nothing I would be worried about showing a Year 7. My Year 9 set really enjoyed it and wouldn't go to break. There is also Les Visiteurs which my Year 7 ,8,9 liked. Otherwise French music vids from the TF1 and YouTube websites.

12. slick

slick New commenter

I would advise NOT showing a 15 certificate film to students that are not 15. One it is illegal. Secondly a parent only has to complain and one has not got a leg to stand on. Thirdly I fell into a trap a few years ago when a tutee put a DVD on for the end of term.... and I was watching and thought it was very gruesome (although what shocks me does not shock kids and things seem to be more acceptable). I asked if the film was a 15 (Year 11 tutor) and all assured me it was. However it was an 18. I had no come back as I was the adult and trusted the kids implicitly having had them for 4 1/2 years! BE CAREFUL

13. sam enerve

sam enerve New commenter

We cannot use our "professional judgement" to decide whether or not a "15" rated film is suitable for a class of 12 or 13 year old students. It simply isn't. It would be very unprofessional. It only takes one year 7 or 8 student say "we watched a 15 in French" and there could be serious problems.
    I know I sound like a miserable old git, and perhaps I am , but I am in total agreement with slick, if it is illegal then it should not be permitted in a classroom.

sam

14. Geekie

Geekie New commenter

Same here. The BBFC gives films a certain classification for a certain reason and we have to respect that.

15. miss303

miss303 New commenter

in regard to showing a 15 - i've done it. Didn't show the lids the case so they didn't know what rating it was but was 100% sure it was suitable for the year 9 group...who by the way produce langauge you probably wouldn't find in an 18 rated film!!

As for good films...

Kirikou - AMAZIN!! yr7 to A2 kids'll love it.

400 coups

delicatessen - 15 but really nothing a year 9 group
    couldn't deal with.

He loves me, he loves me not - brilliant!

Chitty chitty bang bang - found in a bargin bin, even the songs have been translated into French, Spanish and italian!!

IN fact, always look in the cheap dvd selections in supermarkets. Many films have french on them.

16. Geekie

Geekie New commenter

Who are you to say what a Y9 group can deal with ? I'm glad you don't teach my children.

17. miss303

miss303 New commenter

i'm glad i dont teach your children too!!

What I mean is that in the film there is a scene where you hear bed springs creaking but it's benny hill-esque rude so totally ok and there is one scene where someones troat is cut (dream sequence) and to be honest it is nothing compared to stuff i've seen on eastenders or hollyoaks.

I think as professionals, we are capable of calling the situation. Obviously it's my choice and i take responsability for any complaints and have the support of my HOD.

18. sam enerve

sam enerve New commenter

miss303 thinks we are capable of calling the situation. I would be horrified if a member of my department was showing unsuitable films to younger students. I would also be furious with my staff if I had to deal with a complaint about it. I would also go mental if a teacher decided that my 12 year old was mature enough to watch a "15" rated film. As Geekie rightly pointed out the BBFC decides what is suitable for general viewing, it is not for a teacher to decide. As for not telling the students the rating of the film, it does not make it any more legal. All of the films mentioned so far are very good films, but we must remember that we are adults and responsible for the welfare of our students.
    I really have a bee in my bonnet about this, I think I should go for a lie down in a dark room.

sam

19. PierreImport

The Dark Room...sounds like a good name for a film.