1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

French conversation / comprehension exercises

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by future_teacher1, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Ohps!!! Rooky mistake, posted on Chrome so no praragraphs, I'll try again!

Hello All!
    I'm primary trained (so please excuse my intrusion on your forum!) but speak French fluently and am currently giving lessons to a friend who is about at the level I was when I took my A-Level (I got an A, so she would be a strong A-Level student).
    I am really looking for some ideas of games/short exercises we can do as I am used to teaching at a much lower level so seeking new ideas, so far I have:
    • 20 questions to guess vocab from article read together
    • Asking her to write a sentence of her own with tricky vocab article read together
    • Short written tasks on a given theme
    • Oral summary of article read together
    • True / False Q's based on article read together
    • Hangman with vocab discussed together
    Please feel free to add to this list!!! All ideas gratefully received!

2. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Is she preparing for an A-level exam or is it just general conversation on any topic? If the former, click on my name, I've uploaded some snakes and ladder revision games for the topics I've taught at A2. Also, www.frenchteacher.net is great for reading comprehensions and games ideas for A-level. With my students, I quite like playing devil's advocate, and argue about a topic (immigration, etc) and make them defend the other point of view (which is what they'll have to do in the exam). I introduce an extra twist by making them pick up some cards from an envelope before we start, the cards each have one good phrase they have to include in the conversation without anyone noticing (e.g. "autant que je sache", "n'oublions pas non plus" etc). You could try role-play as well - imagine you are a priest/old-fashioned grandmother/single mother etc: what do you think about marriage? gay marriage? living together without being married etc...
    If it's general conversation on any topic that you're looking for, I'd perhaps print some articles from the news and discuss, making sure you jot down the vocabulary she is unsure of as well as points of grammar you want to explain.

3. Thank you Noemie! I like those ideas, will add them to my list. She is hoping to prepare for an exam with the Institut Français, the format of which really reminds me of my A-Level and it seems to require a similar level of language skill so your ideas could work great!