1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

French classroom activities

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by spsmith45, Jan 9, 2011.

1. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

Sounds you are starting from a solid basis there. A few years ago I did a course on "task centred discussions" (the name may have been a little different). If you look at www.frenchteacher.net, Our Resources, A-level section there are some "discussions" that work well. These are nor text-based, but give a particular point to the conversation, or a task to be achieved.
    You might like to consider exploiting pictures more. Have a look at a blog entry I did recently: http://frenchteachernet.blogspot.com. Scroll down or search for it. There some pictures you could easily use.
    There is nothing wrong with doing grammar drills or translation into French. Students enjoy this and find it a useful activity for improving their grammar. Again, I have plenty of examples on frenchteacher.net.
    Do you ever do dictation? I do so just occasionally. Again, students get a lot from this.
    Sites I find especially useful for A-level are: www.lafrancebis.com and www.curiosphere.tv. Maybe you know these already.
    Sounds like I'm plugging my site, but I make next to no money out of it unless you click on the ads.
    You may be interested to read the "essays" I have written on exploiting texts and methodology in general.
    Do get in touch off forum if I can be of further help.
    spsmith45@aol.com

2. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

Go to the home page. Click on "using texts" on the left hand menu.

Steve