1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

French and Spanish film festival

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by jojogee, Feb 11, 2012.

1. I would like to organise a French and Spanish film festival at school, showing a range of films over a few weeks, but looking for interesting films which will engage students ages 11 -15 particularly with a PG rating. Any ideas on films I could get hold of easily (apart from Les Choristes which is a favourite)? I would ideally like authentic films and not familiar films but played in French/ Spanish. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. I would like to organise a French and Spanish film festival at school, showing a range of films over a few weeks, but looking for interesting films which will engage students ages 11 -15 particularly with a PG rating. Any ideas on films I could get hold of easily (apart from Les Choristes which is a favourite)? I would ideally like authentic films and not familiar films but played in French/ Spanish. Any help would be much appreciated.

3. La Boum, Diabolo menthe, Lol, Pot luck, The Russian dolls.

4. castellano7

castellano7 New commenter

A few quick ideas:
    'Manolito gafotas' (PG- Spain)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manolito-Gafotas-Four-Eyes-DVD/dp/B000E8RFN8/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1329161012&sr=8-5
    'Valentin' (PG- Argentina)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Valentin-DVD-Rodrigo-Noya/dp/B00021Y8U0/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1329161104&sr=1-1
    'Voces inocentes' (12, about the civil war in El Salvador)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Innocent-Voices-DVD-Carlos-Padilla/dp/B000IOM8YO/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1329161175&sr=1-1
    In French, there's 'Au revoir les enfants', which is a 12 but might not be great for younger students?
    I know you said it's a French and Spanish film festival, but I really love the Italian film 'Life is Beautiful', which is a PG and a film I think a lot of young people would enjoy.
    Hope that helps, good luck, sounds like a great idea!

5. castellano7

castellano7 New commenter

Also, 'La lengua de las mariposas' - a really nice story, definitely suitable for younger pupils. I'm not sure if 'Pot luck' and 'Russian Dolls' would be suitable for 11-15 year olds, there's a lot of sexual content, well I would only show these films to sixth-formers, but that's just my view. I showed 'El Laberinto del Fauno' ('Pan's labyrinth') to a Year 9 class last year - it's a 15 but there's only one swear word in it, the rest is fine and they really enjoyed it.

6. I was going to suggest 'La lengua de las mariposas' although there are a couple of sex scenes.
    'Entre les murs' is a good insight into a French school. La journee de la jupe' is also good but might put some 'ideas' into young heads.

7. am going to show my year nines 'mon oncle' by Jacques Tati this week. funny, stylish/vintage and simple humour. recommended.

8. littlemissmo

littlemissmo New commenter

Kirikou, Azur et Asmar (The Princes' Quest) both have lovely animation and Kirikou has some accessible vocabulary, Belleville Rendezvous. Valentin, for Spanish, Pan's Labyrinth is good, but I think it is the violence which makes it a 15 so I certainly wouldn't show it to any younger pupils. There are also some good short films you can find on youtube or dailymotion - Les Crayons, Le bon numéro, amongst others. Good luck with your festival!

9. salsera

salsera New commenter

Just seen the first half of"He loves me, he loves me not" - riveting! Thanks for the recommendation

10. Someone may have written it already but 'Les Diaboliques' is a seminal BandW film and shows why films don't need gore to be scary. One of the best endings ever. 'Girl on a Bridge' is good. Harlen Coben film 'Tell No One' from his book is excellent but for older kids. Spanish is more difficult. Almodovar is a great director but how many of his films could you show in school?

11. If you like "love me love me not" try "Priceless" another Audrey Tatou(is that her name?) film,a 12 rating, very French, well acted and amusing.
    Helen