1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Freight to China

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by 10B, Jul 31, 2020 at 1:59 PM.

1. 10B

10B New commenter

Hello all,
    Could anyone help me with any recommendations on freight carriers for a small amount of stuff that I am looking to send over to China for when I eventually start. I'll be based in Beijing. Thank you.

2. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Before the current CV19 situation this is what I use to suggest and you will have to check with the airliner you have book a ticket with. Some airliners like BA/Virgin use to allow you to book extra bags with your ticket at between 100-125 GBP each up to a max of 10 cases per person on the flight. This gives you an extra 22.5KG of 'STUFF' you can bring with you as you arrive at the airport. Remember there are no custom charges, import duties, storage charges or handling fees, so if its under 100KG you want to bring it may be cheaper then using a freight company.

10B likes this.
  3. 10B

10B New commenter

Thanks February 31st. I'll check that out.

4. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

Try my baggage dot com. They will pick up suitcases up to 32kg as many as you like. I shifted 4 32kg cases from uk to Prague for 30 euros per case. All done using dhl as a carrier. Brilliant service.

10B likes this.
  5. february31st

Remember if your bags don not come with you on the same flight and are shipped by a third party they will have to go via Customs Clearance and you will need your Residency Visa in your passport before you can do the paper work for the clearance. You may also be charged customs duty on some items such as computers or other electrical items. Give yourself at least 4 weeks in China to allow processing of your visa before your shipment is due to arrive as you will be charged a great deal of storage otherwise.

So the extra baggage option is the best for 100KG IMHO.

6. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I must disagree with febbers and the previous posters. The cheapest and best way to do it is not to bring any extra items with you. Then you will not need any freight or extra baggage. There are plenty of shops in China, so you could always buy one or two things that you might need once you have arrived in the Middle Kingdom.

7. february31st

I find in China the shops only sell cheap s.h.!.t or Gucci, there is a little middle quality available. It's basically Ikea standards or paying ten times the cost for a little bit extra quality.

My goto footware for all occasions are Dr Marten Boots, very good at kicking the locals out of your way on the metro and keeping your feet warm in winter. (but only if made in the UK so I am constantly looking for NOS in back street shops in England) In the UK maybe 95GBP a pair, here in China 400GBP will buy you a **** quality made in China set.

You will also be hard done by looking to buy shoes over UK size 9 and if you are female and over a size 10 you may find it hard shopping for clothes. So if you have big feet and a fuller figure you may want to bring your entire wardrobe with you. Decathlon has over the last couple of years increased its Larger sizes in shoes and clothes I must mention.

I would also recommended if you are female(if you are male I have no idea where you would use them, I don't want to be accused of been gender bias) and use to a certain brand of Tampon so bring a 2 year supply as only sanitory towels are available in shops. It true their is a website called Taobao that you can buy anything, but a lot is fake so do you really want o be sticking something of unknown origin up.. .. . .. .... ...

Also consider packing an ASUS RT AC88U to complement the POS China Telecom internet Modem to set up your home network.

You can easily fill a couple of suitcases with items to make your life comfortable here in China.

Have a search on here on what to bring with you to China.

8. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

I have to agree with Hippo. You can get everything here. That quality products are there and not insanely priced everywhere. If you go into a mall, you will pay more but it is very easy to buy quality online if you know what you're looking for.
    H&M and GAP both stock the larger sizes alongside Decathlon and they're all physical shops and online.

Many girls when I travelled to China were told to bring tampons but they have found them much easier to buy than they were led to believe. 7/11 stores stock them and many Chinese girls stock up during the various big sales throughout the year on Taobao.

Big shoes are harder to find like Feb says. The Nike outlet stores are pretty good for up to uk men's size 11, possibly 12.

9. february31st

If you like to live in a hotel room all your life that fine by me, I like to live in a home. I personally ship everything I own from country to country as I don't like to live in a sterile concrete cave. I remember the 2 hour haggle for the Arabic rugs from the souks in Tehran that I walk on in my bedroom. The stainless steel copper bottom pans I use to cook are from a Harrods Christmas sale. Some of the small items around my apartment come from my mother, father, grand parents and don't even mention my 2000 books which I have read 1500 or more, don't tell anyone I find Charles Dickens TIDIEOUS.

A few items can make your concrete cave a home and in China you will be living in a concrete cave, especially in winter.

10. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

Feb31 - you can order DMs at UK prices through asos.com - it takes about a month or so but they do get there. I ordered a pair of DM shoes for £100 (the UK shop price) - this included P&P and arrived in Beijing safely, no customs.

For the OP, take everything electronic with you - laptops, Fire sticks, whatever. They will allow you to bring this in and don't charge duties. Any which you ship will incur this and they can be pretty hefty - sometimes more than the cost of the thing itself.

Anything else - clothes, furniture, ornaments, etc - can be shipped. It took about 4 months for ours to go by sea from Egypt to the Middle Kingdom, though it was delayed in Singapore. For example, you will need winter clothes in Beijing, but not until about November so easy to wait for it.

11. february31st

Check the joining information the school has sent, it may include details of luggage allowance you can claim. Many schools are happy to offer you 500USD to help shipping of you luggage but will not offer a settling in allowance. So you can save your self paying 45KG of household items by shipping two extra suitcases on your flight. You can fill a case with your Dyson, tea towels, steam iron, cutlery, bed sheets and teddy bears.

If you get a free shipping allowance, anything you have now will be free of charge here in China.