1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Freezing Food - a Tip

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by nick909, Sep 30, 2018.

1. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Many of us here make batches of food to freeze, or freeze leftovers for future use, but many of use are aware of the hazards of the UFO - that you've either neglected to label, or the label has become unreadable after six months at the bottom of the freezer, so I was interested to hear this tip from Prue Leith, and have been using it for a few weeks now.

Basically, most of us freeze things in balls, or vaguely spherical/ovoid lumps. We dump the food in a freezer bag, tie it up, and then lob it in the freezer, hopefully writing on it at some point in the process. And it freezes in big, dense lumps that a) don't stack up neatly and have a tendency to tumble everywhere, b) take longer to defrost, c) the written on them become twisted and obscured or rubs off, d) you can't easily break bit off to defrost if you don't want to use all of it.

So, Prue's advice, was to freeze it flat! And I've been trying it, and it works. If you carefully put the food in the bag, and flatten it as much as you can, using your hands to push the air out, and then carefully tie it, you can then label it and place in the freezer. The flatness of it means you can stack frozen meals up, thus making your use of freezer space more efficient; the writing doesn't become twisted and obscured; it defrosts more quickly in an emergency; and you can even break it up if it's thin enough, in case you don't want to use all of it that day.

Very good for things that will flatten, such as curries, chillies, casseroles etc and even excess mash.

I'm a fan - recommend you give it a try!

2. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Star commenter

I usually freeze things in tupperware boxes, but they do take up quite a lot of space in my relatively small freezer. I must give this a go!

BelleDuJour likes this.