1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Freezing dumplings

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by anon3372, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Is it best to freeze them cooked or uncooked, or does it not make a difference?

2. Is it best to freeze them cooked or uncooked, or does it not make a difference?

3. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I tend to freeze mine when cooked....
    The semolina type freeze/thaw pretty well - especially if they are actually frozen a portion of stew - they stay nice and firm when defrosted.
    Obviously the sort with the crouton in the middle don't work quite so well - the crouton doesn;t stay crisp!
    And the bigger dampfnudeln freeze really well.....oh I could eat a couple of those right now....with compote and vanilla saiuce...

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

The raising agent used in dumplings is usually baking powder ie SR flour, the minute you add water you start the chemical reaction of acid meets alkali which produces carbon dioxide. I would suggest either cooked or freeze the flour/fat mix before adding the water.