1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Freezing a jelly

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Bethannie, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Quick question from a niece who believes that if auntie beth doesn't already know the answer to a question, she can find it out! (She's only 7 and still has faith in her auntie!)

So, if someone makes up a jelly - the lo-sugar jelly crystal type. Half with boiling water, topped up with cold as per the packet instructions....and then instead of putting it in the fridge puts it in the freezer, what would happen?
    Would the jelly set quicker?
    What happens when it freezes?
    Would the addition of tinned mandarin oranges make a difference?

Beings as she specifically mentioned lemon-lime jelly and mandarin oranges, I suspect she intends trying this out over the weekend! And I am all for encouraging scientific experimentation - especially in someone else's kitchen!...And I like that she is asking questions before trying out the practical work!

2. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Quick question from a niece who believes that if auntie beth doesn't already know the answer to a question, she can find it out! (She's only 7 and still has faith in her auntie!)

So, if someone makes up a jelly - the lo-sugar jelly crystal type. Half with boiling water, topped up with cold as per the packet instructions....and then instead of putting it in the fridge puts it in the freezer, what would happen?
    Would the jelly set quicker?
    What happens when it freezes?
    Would the addition of tinned mandarin oranges make a difference?

Beings as she specifically mentioned lemon-lime jelly and mandarin oranges, I suspect she intends trying this out over the weekend! And I am all for encouraging scientific experimentation - especially in someone else's kitchen!...And I like that she is asking questions before trying out the practical work!

3. henriette

henriette New commenter

it goes crystalline

4. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Really?
    I'll have to do a bit of googling to see why...unless you can explain?

And I'm guessing she's better off not wasting the fruit then!

5. henriette

henriette New commenter

it still tastes nice, but loses it clarity.

6. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I think the water freezes before the jelly sets.
    Certainly I have ended up with a mess before!

7. The water freezes very quickly but the crystalline jelly granules do not freeze at the same rate as the dissolving process is not completed, so you end up with gritty jelly.
    Before the jelly granules have fully dissolved, the water is frozen or rathermore, the granules start to set and glump together again, or something like that.
    I seem to remember that that is why you only put the granules into warm water and not boiling water and then put in the fridge - as the cooling and mingling takes time.
    I don't have a scientific explanation - although I DO remember we had this very topic in Domestic Science. Obviously, I was not paying attention.
    Anyway - it doesn't work. That is 42 year old me speaking from experience.
    Where is Belle? Lapin is stuffing herself with yummy food I know, but one of them will have a scientific explanation (I bet lapin does, I just bet she does!)