1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Freevolt

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34401616

"Free energy from the air. It sounds like a fantasy but that is what the entrepreneur and former science minister Lord Drayson has just unveiled at London's Royal Institution.

The technology involves harvesting radio frequency energy from existing wireless and broadcast networks, from 4G to digital television. Lord Drayson says it's a world first: "It doesn't require any extra infrastructure, it doesn't require us to transmit any extra energy, it's recycling the energy which isn't being used at the moment.""

With a bit of luck, we'll be able to suck up all the juice destined for mobile phones and walk down the street without fear of being bumped into again.

2. yfel_endwerce

yfel_endwerce Established commenter

What "free" energy?
    The energy used in the demonstrations was generated for a purpose and to hijack it for other purposes is simply wrong

3. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I was told, some time ago, about someone close to a Radar installation being found with a loop of wire round their house to generat electricity. I think they were prosecuted.
    Surely all that harvesting would require stronger signals and so more generating energy to make up for what was being absorbed?

4. Duke of York

Yes, however I think it would be impossible to detect and prosecute everyone who who took advantage of it. If you remember back to the days of illegal CB radio, there was never a ban on owning the equipment for it. Only a ban on transmitting from it. The law was impossible to police, so the law was changed to allow CB radio on a specific frequency.

If they increase the energy, it will merely allow more powerful devices to be used.

5. T34

T34 Lead commenter

Before we get too excited, Radio amateurs communicate around the world transmitting less power than an average lamp bulb.
    The total power output from a large TV transmitter is ~1MW, which is enough to power only 1000, one bar electric fires. How are the remaining 5.999 million homes served by the transmitter going to keep warm? They won't even have TV to watch. It's the same with wind power - uses up all the wind. No-one ever thinks of that.
    Oh, and your house is colder if you are absorbing all the energy falling on it with solar panels.

6. Duke of York

Does that mean my dog will get blamed less? I hope so. You wouldn't want to see his face with his ears plucked back in a sad fashion and watch him wander off with his tail between his legs when he hears someone ask "Did you do that?"

Bring on more wind power, I say. Nobody other than sailors goes much on wind. A cooling breeze on a hot day is nice, but who wants wind on a bitterly cold day? If wind turbines use it all up, it's only for the betterment of all.

7. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Can't all those gyms that have treadmills be hooked up to some sort of kinetic generator contraption?

8. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

If you carry a fluorescent tube near power lines, it will light up....