1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Freemasonry

Discussion in 'Personal' started by regencyrob, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Would you put freemasonry down as an interest on application forms or do you think schools will look at this negatively?
    RR

2. I think it sounds a bit weird to describe it as an 'interest'. It isn't exactly like stamp collecting or ballroom dancing. Do you mean you are a Freemason?

3. I was wondering as it would come under interests as in raising money for charities etc as a freemason

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I'd put 'charity work' if it was a regular pastime but 'freemasonry' would sound weird to most people, I think.

5. so if you went to interview and said i do lots of charity work and they asked how would you mention it or not?

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Isn't it supposed to be a secret?

7. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

An old friend of mine posted pictures of the
    Lodge Christmas party on Facebook. I was a bit taken aback to be honest.

8. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

What does your Master advise?

9. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

If I was looking through applications then I would see it as someone looking for preferential treament.
    My understanding is that it would be received differently by a fellow freemason - but can't you communicate that via handshake?

10. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

That would be my opinion if I was responsible for short listing applicants. It would put me off.

11. Honestly I was just wondering what peoples' views were.
    It's not a secret society but a society with secrets - why do you think people would be looking for preferential treatment?
    I was just wondering what peoples preconceptions were. Thanks

RR

12. would u think the same if someone was in a particular rugby club, hockey club or charitable organisation such as 'local secretary for The Royal British Legion' etc

13. bombaysapphire

My understanding of the ethos of the organisation is that it is all about doing favours for your fellow members.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I think freemasonry is well spooky, all that funny pinny wearing and secret handshakes and the rest.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

So far as I'm aware there is no "special relationship' between members of different rugby clubs etc as there is between freemasons all over the country.
    You asked for perceptions. You've got mine.

16. bombaysapphire

Mine's the same.
    You are now appearing a bit defensive OP.

17. I wish!
    I think that is an urban myth or maybe a relic of masonry past. Although if there was a builder I knew there and I needed some building work then I would ask them - same as if I was at the rugby club and one of the lads there was a builder. Is that unethical?

18. In all the rugby clubs I have been to and played at the bond is stronger!

19. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

In reality once you utter the word mason you are seen as either belonging to what is deemed an 'exclusive' group...and are either hoping to gain jobs by appealing to another who might be one......or seeking to show youare seeking to be upwardly mobile be seeking to join such a group or you wouldnt be interestediin them.It is why belonging to masons is often deemed bad and outlawed in some proffessions such as polic.
    Most masons do not declare their interest but often do help each other along......as do rotary groups and other charitable causes like the society of water rats.There indeed may be no wrong meant or intended......but its what other percieve.
    I personally wouldnt use such terms....rather somehing more wider as other s have mentioned.

20. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Sounds a bit wankie to advertise the fact that you are a member of a "Secret Society"?