1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Freedom of speech? Really?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lexus300, Feb 18, 2020.

1. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Why was Franklin Graham banned from speaking in Liverpool, Glasgow, Sheffield and possibly London?
    • Was it because he defends Christian belief?
    • Was it because he speaks the truth?
    • Was it because he supports Donald Trump?
    • How many of you knew?

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

All venues booked for Franklin Graham’s planned eight-city 2020 UK tour cancelled his booking after protests by LGBTQ+ activists, petitions and requests from local councils. Many said statements Graham had made (such as referring referring to homosexuality as "an abomination) were incompatible with their values, and that his appearance would be divisive, could be disruptive or lead to a breach of the peace.

3. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

He got his surname and christian name the wrong way round on all the forms?

blazer likes this.
  4. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

Nothing to stop him finding other venues. If he offers to pay enough, he'll find somewhere to host him.

NB He's not been 'banned'. He simply isn't regarded as a good customer by the venues he wanted to appear at. They have freedom to choose as well.

bombaysapphire and Stiltskin like this.
  5. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

People often seem to confuse freedom of speech with the expectation that they will be listened to and taken seriously. He hasn't been "banned" from speaking in those places, but has had his bookings cancelled.

He is an Islamophobe and Homophobe, it's hardly surprising many don't welcome him and see him as a potential source of trouble. Another divisive American nutter who thinks he speaks for God, funny how these people often tell us that God is big on hate - who knew?

"I'm not <insert name of hated minority group here>ophobic, I'm just telling the truth" :rolleyes:

6. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Mr Graham said “I don’t speak on political views" but added that President Trump has achieved more in three years than the previous “four or five presidents combined”.

7. CraigCarterSmith

CraigCarterSmith Established commenter

I'm confused, private companies take the initiative and cancel tour because of possible backlash and monetary cost (they haven't read the materials beforehand - more fool them)

are we all promised a venue and theatre tour? also you do understand the snowflakery of this right?

the big issue here is the theatres haven't done their homework, dumb on all sides

Do you honestly think someone not choosing to have you speak on a public forum for money constitutes free speech?

Do you think being banned from Twitter or Facebook is Free Speech?

8. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Does this freedom of speech you speak of @lexus300, includes hate speech?

9. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

If it doesn't, it isn't.

CraigCarterSmith likes this.
  10. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Lead commenter

And yet it is an axiom of Islam that homosexuals are going to hell, with many states making it illegal and in the most extreme examples executions being carried out. It’s called common for Inmans to preach such doctrine in the U.K.

Oddly, they’re not subject to the same exceptions.

The reality is that Christians are an easy target for progressives, who want to virtue signal but wouldn’t dream of putting themselves at real risk.

Hypocritical ******** basically.

border_walker and agathamorse like this.
  11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Also the most targeted faith group for religious hate worldwide.

But they don't get a trendy hipster term.

12. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Star commenter

I know it's part of the Christian schtick to identify as persecuted, but
    Justin Welby gets away with it, as do Imans, because they own the platform they preach from. Perhaps Graham should ask to preach in one of Welby's pulpits or buy a venue of his own.

EDIT: Let's not forget the other Christian denominations; the Catholics, Baptists, Methodist and evangelicals aren't particularly shy in condemning the LGB community to burn in hell.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

alex_teccy likes this.
  14. alex_teccy

It's not a schtick, it's reality Nanook. Christians are the most persecuted minority worldwide.

lexus300 likes this.
  15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

16. alex_teccy

many Christians are accepting of homosexuality, especially in the west. I think Christianity is ambivalent on most issues. Yes, the old testament says lots of things, but Christians are explicitly directed by Jesus to take under his advisment, "you were told an eye for and eye but I bring you a new covenant"

The reality is Nanook, no quarter is given to Christians, by Liberals.

lexus300 likes this.
  17. alex_teccy

But yes, I accept your point that xtianity is a religion for the excluded, it'salways had an uneasy relationship with power, especially unlimited power... is that why liberal authoritarianism targets it?

lexus300 likes this.
  18. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Some Islamic hate preachers have been barred from coming to the UK at all, this bloke hasn't been banned from anything. Still, it's not fair eh?

He's been dropped by the venues because he promotes hate and they quite understandably don't want to be associated with that, not as you imagine, because he's Christian - though in the US the two do seem to go hand in hand far more than with Christians here.

Christians promoting hate, makes you wonder what Jesus would have made of it.

19. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Are you sure Methodists and Baptists condemn LGB people to burn in hell (is it part of their doctrine now in the 21st century I mean, not something they might have believed 300 years ago)? Religious doctrine isn't my special subject but I have friends and relatives who are Methodists or baptists and I can't imagine any of them being in a church that wanted LGB people to burn in hell.

20. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

You forgot to say that the reason for this is that they are quite happy to target themselves. It was covered a few years ago on Radio 4 More or Less. The data that was used to come up with that statistic counted the Rwanda conflict where both sides were Christians.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020