1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Freed from Taliban but fears arrest in the US

Discussion in 'Personal' started by delmamerchant, Oct 13, 2017.

1. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

I received the news with great joy that a couple whom had been kidnapped by the Taliban and held hostage for 5 years were finally freed. Then I read that the husband refused to board the US military plane back to the US as he feared he would face law enforcement. Then I read that he has quite a chequered past of some sort. Now my spider senses are tingling.

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Who would want to spend time in the USA these days with the vindictive lunatic they have in charge at the moment.

suem75, InkyP and FrankWolley like this.
  3. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

I just think it is curious that you would not want to take your family to a safer place than you have been.

4. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Established commenter

I think that there’s far more than meets the eye to this guy. Interesting backstory. I can’t imagine that his father-in-law is going to give him a warm welcome.

kibosh likes this.
  5. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

From what I've read he is Canadian (his wife in from the US) and they are going to live in Canada. He did describe himself as being a 'pilgrim', so it's possible he is a Muslim convert. I can understand why he might feel uncomfortable trying to go to the USA.

Laphroig likes this.
  6. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

That was my thought too.

nomad likes this.
  7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Take the family backpacking around Afghanistan, yeah, right, Was centreparcs full? There is definitely more to this than meets the eye. previous partner had a history with IS.

nomad, Dodros and Laphroig like this.
  8. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Surprisingly Afghanistan is on the trekkers/mountain bikers radar as a place to go. It is after all a beautiful and rugged place. But the area concerned is in Afghanistan’s remote North East Wakhan Corridor an area that is not and never has been under Taliban control. The Pamir mountains form a natural geographical barrier whilst at the same time are a draw for the trekkers and bikers.

[​IMG]

But I'm pretty sure its not the reason in this case.

9. nomad

nomad Star commenter

John Wayne know how to deal with trouble-making 'Pilgrims'...

[​IMG]

10. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

All 4 children were apparently born whilst they were prisoners.