1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Freecycling for new UAE teachers?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by tesolmath, Jun 12, 2018.

1. tesolmath

tesolmath New commenter

Greetings!

A number of teachers are leaving the UAE IN the next weeks and months, Meanwhile, new MOE hires are arriving. Leavers have been selling off stuff but June-July is a notoriously difficult time to do that. Would there be any interest in setting up an exchange? How could this best be accomplished without violating the rules of this site?

Your thoughtful comments would be most appreciated.

Tesolmath

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  2. sparklesparkle

sparklesparkle New commenter

Does this mean that you found a teaching job, tesolmath?

3. tesolmath

tesolmath New commenter

Thank you for asking. I am setting in for a long search, I am afraid, signing up with various recruiting companies, and getting ready for the main recruiting season to start up in September or October. I am, however, aware of a number of people who have been teaching in the UAE for years and are moving on. I see them posting on FB and other social media about the subject of the original post - trying to find homes for things that have not sold. My motivation in posting the OP really is altruistic - trying to help out leavers and new arrivals while quietly muttering the mantra: "Reduce, Re-Use, Recycle, Repeat".

My time for moving on will also come, eventually. My current employment is scheduled to continue until nearly October and I will need to downsize between now and September but the August-September season is a much better time to sell (or otherwise re-home) things here than June-July. My current plan is to move into a smaller place in the UAE (where my wife still is employed but unable to sponsor my residency), try for a free-lancer's visa from one of the free zones, take an online IB workshop over teaching maths at the DP level, work to earn an IB Certificate on Teaching and Learning (ten weeks to two semesters online) and possibly do something to update and strengthen my ESL/EFL qualifications (although I still feel that taking a TEFL, CELTA or even Trinity College TESOL certificate might be "gilding the lily"). I hope that this ongoing professional development will make me a more attractive candidate when I (hopefully) interview at job fairs during the first quarter of 2019. At the same time I plan to try to do enough work in the local and online "gig economy" at least to break even on the cost of whatever visa I am able to qualify for. Working legally as an expat in the UAE requires both a visa and a work permit, hence my goal of trying for a free-lancer visa. Meanwhile: I would be delighted to get a last-minute job in the UAE as an EFL/ESL or secondary mathematics teacher - but won't hold my breath (nor will I quickly accept a desperation posting with low wages and benefits in another country - especially not at a school with scary reviews!).

For those unfamiliar with my particular circumstances: I am a 59-y-o male with a US passport, a mathematics BA, a US secondary math teaching certificate (plus 3 years of experience teaching high school math in the US), an MA Linguistics/TESOL from a US University and a couple of decades experience teaching ESL, mostly in the Middle East. Recent policy developments regarding age and employment in the education industry in parts of Asia are not working in my favor. I would welcome any compassionate inquiries or suggestions about how I might better play my current hand.

Meanwhile, regarding the OP: are any of those who are traveling out to teach in the UAE interested in inheriting any goodies from teachers who are leaving? If so, how might that best be accomplished? Any ideas?

Thanks!

tesolmath

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2018
    sparklesparkle and Mr_Frosty like this.
  4. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Occasional commenter

I think this is a great idea. People moving in to school provided accommodation might not need things, but for people sourcing their own accommodation it could be a real boon - even if they decide to replace it down the line.

I'd also add that if you can't sell anything rather than leaving it or throwing it away try asking the security at your apartment or school if they would like it or listing it on Freecycle Abu Dhabi etc on facebook - there are many low income people who would probably appreciate it if the alternative is throwing it away.