1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Freecycling and kindness

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Marshall, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

I have been having some renovations and have freecycled a couple of items.

First one was a Cotswold dresser which I no longer have use for. It went to mid twenties girl setting up home on her home. I didn't ask for anything but today I received a lovely bunch of flowers in thanks - perfect.

Second one was a floor buffer which I'd used twice. Went to a local person and I asked for a small donation. She collected and no donation - glad to get rid of it but no thanks from her at all and no donation.

People are so different and I know which ones I'd rather have dealings with!

nomad, Ro13, littlejackhorner and 6 others like this.
  2. hplovegame48

hplovegame48 Occasional commenter

I have been selling stuff and selling Upcycled stuff having cleared out my storage unit. Until yesterday, everyone has been lovely - thankyous and one guy paid more because he felt it was worth it.
    Yesterday, someone accused me of overcharging (when the items were clearly photographed, priced etc) and they could have said no when the items were handed over. I ended up with harassing messages on FB. Obviously, I've shut my account but I was basically cyberstalked by members of the same family and harassed. I've returned the money and they've got the items. Utter scum but I've made it clear, anymore of it and the police will be involved.
    I know which people I prefer.

3. angiebabe

angiebabe Occasional commenter

I’ve been using Freecycle for quite a few years. On average everyone has been very grateful and I’ve had some lovely messages from people. I once asked for a very large kaftan so that I could be Momma Cass for a fancy dress. I got a reply from a lady who literally lived 50 miles away so I said thanks but no thanks. She was so kind and just posted it to me, it was perfect. You just have to remember that there are more people like you and me out there. You’ll always get the odd unpleasant character. Sorry to hear your experience @hplovegame48.

4. hplovegame48

hplovegame48 Occasional commenter

Thankyou for your kindness. I am just astonished that people think they can behave like that. I've never experienced anything like it.

jellycowfish and Marshall like this.
  5. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Don't let it put you off - perhaps report to the police? Or not, having thought it through.

6. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

If you are using Freecycle then I say it is best to feel good about yourself for helping others but never, ever expect anything of those accepting your offers.

That way, you will not be disappointed and when someone does do that little extra in the way of thanks, taken by nice suprise.

7. sadscientist

sadscientist Senior commenter

I suspect she had it up for sale on eBay or similar websites within minutes of getting it home. It happens a lot, but at least the item is recycled.

I’ve had some good experiences with Freecycle. One lovely chap collected ten large paving slabs in a Fiat Panda. He said it’d be fine as long as he took it slowly on the way home.

8. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

We've frecycled loads of things, and had some useful items too. I hate to throw anything away. I have a friend up the road whose children get all my children's cast off stuff, much of which came from my sister, who may have got it from me originally!

Marshall likes this.
  9. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

I don't use the freecycle site, I use our local villages site!

10. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

My experience of Frecycle is not that good. Messages were all impolite, illiterate and from obvious grabbers. I might just get round to flogging some stuff on ebay, and taking stuff to the tip. Problem is by the time you've gone to all the trouble with setting it up, packaging and post you make sod all.

11. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

In my area (inner city) the favoured, and even simpler, way is just to put it out on the pavement in front of your house ("Please take me" label optional). It's usually gone within the hour.

smoothnewt and Marshall like this.
  12. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Regarding Freecycle policy and “making a donation”: certainly in our local group the policy is that no money should be changing hands.

monicabilongame likes this.
  13. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Usually, what happens here. Although you do have to watch as the local Gestapo neighbourhood team do like to fine you £100 if the catch you with a larger item outside or your garden is messy in their eyes.

14. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I’ve only ever put stuff on Freecycle that was too big / unsuitable for the charity shops: sofa plus armchair, bed, guinea pig cage; daughter’s keyboard: all gratefully received verbally.

15. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

I use Freecycle or trash nothing a lot. Most people are fine to deal with, I just get annoyed by the people who ask for stuff then don't bother to turn up.
    I'm just happy to keep stuff out if landfill, when we updated our kitchen, every bit went except the sink which is now my potting bench.

16. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

I remember selling a trampoline on gumtree a few years ago.
    I accepted an offer and a bloke and his friends appeared in an open pick up truck. They chucked some **** around loudly in the back before driving off with someone standing in the back holding it secure.
    I got a message about 15 mins after they would have got home from the woman I’d messaged, saying how much her kids loved it. That was enough for me. I felt bad for judging them.

17. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Just for discussion, perhaps the first person could afford to give you flowers and the second person couldn't. We don't know people's circumstances.

Jamvic likes this.
  18. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Indeed @sparklepig2002, but a thank you is reasonable I think.

Our local estate FB page always has something for sale or free. Most seems to go.

sparklepig2002 likes this.
  19. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I give stuff away on Gumtree quite a lot. It would become landfill otherwise. I'm just glad people are taking it off my hands without me having to leave the house!