1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Free TV licences for over 75s to go

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48583487

"It follows a consultation with 190,000 people, of which 52% were in favour of reforming or abolishing free licences."

So 98,800 people get to decide that 3.7m pensioners lose a benefit they value. I wonder how many of those asked were pensioners?

This 52% keeps cropping up. I wonder if it's always the same people.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Bad news for many pensioners I'm sure as inevitably the older they get the smaller their circle of friends gets and tv can be a lifeline. :(

nizebaby, Laphroig, towncryer and 6 others like this.
  3. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Well, I suppose the salaries have to be paid. BBC Pals Reunited.

sodalime likes this.
  4. catmother

catmother Star commenter

That doesn't sound like something that would win votes!

5. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

I have always thought that you should only have to pay if you watch BBC. When there were only 2 channels it seemed much fairer to have to pay, but now I believe that with so many other channels you should be able to opt out of paying for the BBC if you opt out of watching it.

6. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

Years ago (at least 40), my dad suggested that some sort of device should be invented that would block BBC so that you wouldn't need a licence to watch ITV (only three channels back then.) I think he was ahead of his time!

7. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

I shall simply move to watching only streamed programmes with at least an hour's wait from when they were broadcast.

towncryer and FrankWolley like this.
  8. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I got a £25 fine because I had forgotten to pay my TV licence fee. I went to court and found that there were a number of cases of non payment that were being heard. However, I was the only person who turned up. I thought you had to go. I don't know if turning up had had anything to do with it, but my name was the only one reported in the local newspaper. I was somewhat mortified with shame.

sodalime likes this.
  9. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Those receiving pension credit will still be eligible for free licences.

10. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

As long as you don't use BBC iplayer, you will be legal.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  11. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

In some countries you have to pay regardless, and the national TV carrier doesn't get the money. It just goes into govt. coffers.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  12. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

upload_2019-6-10_16-27-21.png

13. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

That's what I heard on the news, so those on lower incomes are eligible, seems fair (a bit like the income cap on child benefit, wealthier pensioners can pay or use other services) though I still don't know the boundaries of what differentiates less well off, well off and poor in the UK these days.

On the plus side the beeb have been coming up with some great shows that they appear to be selling to the likes of Netflix etc so perhaps they are set to make up the shortfall through their ingenuity and their staffs creative talents.

14. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

For now.

These kind of incentives usually become a slippery slope to misery and pain for all if there is little resistance to them.

It appears many pensioners entitled to the credit are not getting it, so if it does lead to more claiming it perhaps that is...pardon the pun....a benefit.

anotherauntsally and Laphroig like this.
  15. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Good decision. Why should pensioners on above-average-wage-pensions get free tv licences, subsidised by families with below-average-wage- incomes who have to pay.
    ( I note that poorer pensioners will still qualify)

When, as a pensioner, will I be able to claim my free Sky/NetflixAmazon etc subscription?.

16. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

It's a decision by the BBC and we don't vote for the BBC (more's the pity).

Pomza and artboyusa like this.
  17. Jude Fawley

Personally, I'd like to see a situation where retired people are freed of the worry of costs for all utilities for the remainder of their lives.

A basic free form of television entertainment would also be nice.

I think a lot of older people stick with the BBC because they aren't being bombarded with advertising.

When I was growing up, most of the elderly in our village either lived with their grown children and their family. Those alone or in couples lived quietly just pottering about in the garden and walking their dogs.

I never knew about private pensions and savings and when I met wealthier pensioners I was very surprised at what they still had to pay.

I'm a great fan of cradle to grave support.

Older people shouldn't have to have any worries.

Laphroig, towncryer, cissy3 and 2 others like this.
  18. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

There is a feeling the BBC has deliberately delayed this for a year to give the government time to take over the bill and thereby let the 75+ group retain the free licence.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  19. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Osborne dumped this whole thing on the BBC at the time of last Charter renewal and they were too pusillanimous to fight back against it. They deserve all the opprobrium they get. It's a social security benefit and the government should be deciding whether it should continue as free for all or be means tested or whatever. Not a decision to be outsourced to an independent corporation that has no responsibility for benefits.

20. Jude Fawley

Television as a medium started out from a theatrical tradition of drama and comedy. Films were occasionally shown at set times but, these days, television is drawn more to the world of film with 'box sets' and extended dramas.

For me it's all changed beyond recognition. Even BBC Radio is different with 'podcasts' etc.

I could stop paying the licence fee and find BBC content on YouTube. Pensioners might not find it so accessible.

By all means have a licence fee but clearly publish all the expenses including salaries.

Each broadcast should have a financial file that viewers can access to determine how their money has been spent.

I pay the licence fee but I switch off the BBC when I see all the pals meeting up and slapping each other on the back. Inviting each other on to each others' programmes doesn't go down well with me and the all too comfortable metropolitan elitism of 'celebrities' sickens me.

The BBC could do a great deal about getting rid of some of the more odious people they employ. Chris Evans -what a nightmare of a sad little man. Get rid, get rid, get rid.

border_walker and towncryer like this.