1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Free tuition for NHS workers on TT

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by bramblesarah, Apr 8, 2020.

1. bramblesarah

bramblesarah Occasional commenter

Hi all,
    Like everyone else on here I am struggling a bit. I have introduced offers so I have managed to get my students numbers up to 12. I have joined a number of new sites (as I am sure lots of tutors have). One new site I have joined TT is offering free tuition for NHS workers. I thought the site may still pay the tutors a reduced rate but they don't as far as I can see. There are still a few normal paying jobs on their job board which I have applied for. As a matter of interest I clicked on one of the NHS postings one parent wanted 15 free hours of tuition a week! Do they not realise that we won't be getting 80% of our pay and still have to earn a living. Honestly Marx was clearly right to say we would be one of the first countries to become communist. As far as I can see the government seems to be paying everyone (not us) and people are just working for free. (Sorry for the rant).
    Has anyone had any success with TT?

2. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I have never heard of TT. This seems quite unreasonable. Unlike us the NHS workers are still getting their full pay and possibly quite a lot of overtime. Is this tuition for the workers themselves or their children?

3. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I will be claiming the self employed funding that will be made available. I've never claimed anything in my life, my tax returns are done properly and are up to date. It's better than nothing
    But I certainly won't be offering free lessons because like everyone else I have bills to pay and my income has been cut

4. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

I wouldn't touch this with a bargepole. TT are clearly trying to gain popularity. However, tutors still need to make money, and NHS workers not only still have a job and salary, their children still have school places! Steer clear.

5. Lespaul101

Lespaul101 New commenter

15 hours free tuition a week? Seriously? That’s ridiculous.

6. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

I wonder how and when we will be able to claim this. I still have a very small amount of work, will this disqualify me from this? Like yourself I have never 'claimed' anything in my life and wouldn't have a clue how to go about it.

7. BG54

BG54 Occasional commenter

Assuming you've been filing self-assessment returns, HMRC will contact you in the coming weeks and invite you to apply for the grant. It's treated as taxable income so your current much-reduced earnings should be less relevant unlike when claiming for Universal Credit.

https://www.businesssupport.gov.uk/self-employment-income-support-scheme/

8. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

Thanks. If the payments are based on previous years income it will be a bit of a pain because this year I've really established myself and was earning at least double previous years.

9. Lespaul101

Lespaul101 New commenter

Payments are based on previous years tax returns. Which means I won’t get anything as it’s only in the last year that I’ve reduced hours at school and increased my tutoring work. However I have been lucky in that most of my students are doing lessons online.

10. Veerwal

Veerwal New commenter

I have been registered with TT for about a month, have applied for every suitable job and have not been successful yet. I teach a shortage subject. From what I saw today I think they have taken their NHS Free tuition ‘jobs’ off the jobs list.

bramblesarah likes this.
  11. bramblesarah

bramblesarah Occasional commenter

After reading further into this it appears that they can only apply for 15 hours I guess the hope would be they would continue afterwards. The 'job' advert said 15 hours per week. So I wonder what would happen in the second week. The tuition is for the children of the NHS workers.

12. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

It's based on profits from the last 3 years rather than income.