1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Free stuff and discounts

Discussion in 'Personal' started by blazer, Sep 18, 2019.

1. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Mrs B is always looking to make the budget go further. She has discovered a couple of websites that give big discounts or even freebies on food and drink. You look atthe offers and if you see a suitable one you buy it, take a photo of your receipt and upload it. The website then reimburses you, Tonight I cooked a sort of paella using a pack of chicken sausages that we got from the Co Op for free. There are 3 bottles of Badger Golden ale in the fridge that cost me £2.60 from Tesco express (normal price £1,90 a bottle) a 660ml bottle of Maltsmith lager, free from Sainsbury. We have also had free bars of chocolate and other stuff. Tastes so much better when it is free! Shopping day tomorrow and she has a list of stuff to try.

2. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

That sounds like all the fun of a cross town treasure hunt through traffic jams and multiple elbowers.
    Still,I'm happy to try out your savings tips if you could also source me either a teleportation device or a chauffeur..

3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We are bargain hunters too. I wish we could persuade my Daughter to be a bit more thrifty sometimes.

4. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Yes no. You can end up obsessing over every last halfpenny like my mother-in-law. Even when she could barely walk she was visiting her multiple banks and building societies swapping tiny amounts of money between accounts to gain perhaps a penny or two, literally. And she used to visit all the shops in the village to see which was the cheapest for everything. I'm happy to save but I'm not going to be a slave to it, or visit shops I don't want to go to get something I probably wouldn't have bought if it hadn't been cheap.

5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

We have most of the main shops within walking distance or we wait until another journey takes us past one. Not worth making a special trip. Today we do or main shop. In Tesco the websites have Timothy Taylor's Landlord and Michelob Ultra (got a lager drinking mate coming up for the weekend) on discount and a couple of cat food brands on free offer.

6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

It was our daughter in law who put us onto these websites!

7. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

My son is back home for a week and I signed up to Waitrose to get some food delivered and they have a voucher for £30 off first delivery if you spend £100 plus free delivery so I just got £30 of cat food free.( see my cat thread)

I love a bargain - take after my dad, although he was extreme ( not having a cup of tea in a cafe, my mum had to go in on her own and he’d wait outside with his flask which drove her mad) whereas I just always check whether I could get something cheaper but spend money on things like eating out.

Aquamarina1234 likes this.
  8. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I browse websites for discounted clothes etc. They’re probably not the current season, but that doesn’t matter.

We shop in Aldi mainly. The choice is limited, so we aren’t tempted to buy stuff on spec.

I can’t really be bothered with the faff of vouchers though, unless there’s something I really want or need.

9. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

In the not too distant past, we have had to count every single penny. And in the more distant past, actually, but there have been times in between when we were positively flush! Now, I am self-employed and we don't have a regular income, so we are still wary with what money we have. However, I still find the idea of being able to go out for a coffee a tiny treat, and when I say to Mr Mothorchid, "Let's go and see that film," he will still say "Can we afford it this month?" Old habits dying hard, I suppose.

10. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Which is this website Blazer?

11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

One is called Shopmium and the other Checkout Smart

BelleDuJour likes this.
  12. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Didn't get the Timothy Taylors in the end. Even with 1/3 off it was still not a bargain especially when I could get 12 Abbot ales for £7 because the box had split! Got the Michelob though for my friend but also 12 bottles of San Miguel for £7 again because the box had broken and was taped up. So we are sorted for the weekend:D

BelleDuJour and mothorchid like this.
  13. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Well, possibly it will see you OK for Saturday.

emerald52 and blazer like this.
  14. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Most chain restaurants have vouchers online to use. They charge huge amounts for drinks so I ask for tap water. There is quite of dodgy discounting going on in supermarkets. They put the price up for a short tome then ‘discount’ it. I only buy my coffee, toilet cleaner and tea when they are on offer.

15. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I refuse to go to this type of place. It's a dismal experience feeling you are paying over the ofds for anything you've not found a voucher for.

16. towncryer

towncryer Senior commenter

We don't go mad on vouchers...and I really don't have the time to bother...but we do take advantage of special offers,especially with cleaning products which can add significantly to the shopping bill. We always try to buy our cleaning stuff when its two for one or similar and there is more often than not some such offer just about every week. Cleaning stuff can be stored so it really does work to buy when cheaper.
    Can't say the same for food though.This can be a bit of an own goal with unused food going to waste.These days we buy what we need when we need it.We have stopped doing the weekend food shop.It works, and cuts down on both waste food and cost.

17. towncryer

towncryer Senior commenter

I think the whole point of the vouchers is to lure customers in so they will buy the drinks. If everyone asks for tap water I think the vouchers will stop eventually as it is a marketing ploy that isn't working.

emerald52 likes this.
  18. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

True but most customers consume alcoholic drinks or soft drinks. The mark up on coffee and tea is huge. They wouldn’t do it if it wasn’t worth it.