1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Free Standing Maths Qualification

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by bombaysapphire, Jan 18, 2011.

1. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Thanks for the replies.
    We will go for the Additional Maths FMSQ. There is a lot to cover between now and the summer but they are a keen bunch and it does cover some very interesting topics. It should be a great introduction to A level.

2. DM

DM New commenter

I taught it one hour per week from November to May last year and got through it and the students all got A grades (they did all have GCSE A* from early entry however so were starting from a good position).

3. I love the FSMQ. The really sparky kids have something to challenege them that introduces mechanics has a little look at the better side of stats and is a nice intro to calculus.
    The trend seems to be towards starting AS early in y11 yet a good cohort (good)A and A* kids woth some motivation and its great...far nicer than chucking the C1 option at the pupils. C1 is just GCSEs 10+ years ago.
    If the pupils 'bomb' in this at least they are better prepped for AS.
    DM I am hoping the new gvt along with the twin paired produce something nice to fill the gap

4. pwc9000

pwc9000 New commenter

Does FSMQ contribute to GCSE points scores?

5. From memory its the add maths they give points to rather than FSMQ