1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

free software to change pitch of cds?

Discussion in 'Music' started by bod99, Mar 26, 2012.

1. bod99

bod99 New commenter

Does anyone know of a good programme which will allow changing of pitch of CDs? I have a very proficient C clarinet pupil and she's frustrated that she can't play the playalong CDs like everyone else. I know I could use flute music, but it's not the same, and often goes too high!

2. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

3. It's not free, but Transcribe (from seventhstring.com) allows you to import files and change the pitch very easily using a slider. You can also change the speed (slow it down, but not speed it up), and add visual markers to a track showing sections, bar numbers, whatever. As the name suggests, it's intended to make transcription easier but I find it really useful for practice purposes as it allows me to slow down backing tracks and transpose them if necessary, and to mark off and repeat individual sections.

It's 39 US dollars - around £24.

Edit: Have just checked and it seems you can save the modified audio file - so if the school can pay for the software, you could transpose and save the files for your pupil to take home, and there's no cost to her.

4. abrsm do something called speedshifter

5. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

Try 'audacity' - haven't used it for ages, but I think it's still free.

6. tanbur

tanbur New commenter

Download Magix Music Maker trial version. Import your CD track. Right click, then look for timestretch and pitchshift. Use the dial to pitchshift your track - magic!

7. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

You were correct the first time, Matilda, and I am not up to date. I see that the latest version of Speedshifter can also change the pitch by up to a minor 3rd in either direction. It's free and should be exactly what the OP needs:
    http://www.abrsm.org/en/students/speedshifter

8. bod99

bod99 New commenter

thanks to all for your help. Have downloaded speedshifter and will recommend to ALL pupils!