1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Free Schools

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by adrixargentina, Jan 12, 2019.

1. adrixargentina

adrixargentina Occasional commenter

Does/has anyone worked for a free school?

Do you like it?

Do these schools follow the same STPCD rules?

Thanks

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

READ THIS CAREFULLY

DO NOT WORK IN A FREE SCHOOL

agathamorse and Mermaid7 like this.
  3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Almost never.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. adrixargentina

adrixargentina Occasional commenter

Is this from personal experience?

5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

No - I wouldn't go near one but I know people who have.

Just - don't - find a proper school to work in.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Imagine the very worst and the very best state school you can think of and the vast difference between them.
    Now exaggerate at both ends and you'll have the difference possible between free schools.

Definitely ensure you have read and agreed the contract and terms of employment before you accept the post. Check things like pension contributions, sick pay, etc.

It may be the best decision you ever make and give you a lot of freedom and autonomy.
    It may be a horrific disaster which ruins your career.
    Go in with your eyes open and see what happens.

7. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

A HoF at a previous school told me the key issue with free schools - aside from the potential lack of STPCD and working people like slaves - is that they are a pet Tory project, and working for one could be read by some HTs as you making your political opinions very clear. Also, bear in mind that the HTs of some like to see themselves as media celebrities rather than actual headteachers - Katherine Birbalsingh, anyone?

8. mrjoemaths

mrjoemaths New commenter

I must say I don't see all of the worry about Free schools. Like regular schools, every one is different and if you do your research you'll be fine. My first job in teaching was at a Free school. There were the challenges which come with being part of a new school, but pay/conditions were good, the other teachers were very friendly - not Tory mad!

The one I was at was essentially a state funded school trying to be run like a private school - the director of learning used to own a private school in the area and sold it to concentrate on the Free school.

9. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

There is an understandable tendency for people who have had a bad experience to generalise. Some types of schools might be more likely to be bad places to work, but it will vary. Ideally, you would be able to speak to ordinary staff members to get a better impression of what a place is like to work in. This applies in any job. Even if people cannot speak freely, you can sense if they really like the place.

agathamorse likes this.