1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Free school?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Izzy121, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Izzy121

Izzy121 New commenter

Hi All,

I've seen a job that I'm quite interested in, but it's in a free school...I'm a bit concerned about the potential working conditions. They have achieved 'good' in their only ofsted, which is positive, but the fact that they only list having a teaching qualification as 'desirable' on the person spec is a worry!

Any advice or experiences?

Thanks in advance

2. mseerie

mseerie New commenter

Ask if you can visit and take the opportunity to speak to current staff, but make a point of doing it away from management, so they can be completely honest. Even if you can't do that, get information about performance management, workload and directed working hours from management.

3. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Don't touch it with a bargepole

4. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Don't know what people like Theo think, but this could be one where a pre application visit is wise? And I mean for all parties.

5. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

They do not insist on qualified staff

That should be enough for any professional teacher to know

Middlemarch likes this.
  6. Izzy121

Izzy121 New commenter

Yeah, my gut instinct was to run screaming when I saw the 'desirable'...but everything else looks good. The Ofsted is actually the most consistently positive I've seen, and the SLT come out glowingly. But then you have to be seriously screwing up to mess up an Ofsted with only 3 year groups!

Yes, think I will visit against my better instincts. Trouble is, my subject (I won't say what it is as the school could be identified) is not an in demand one, in fact its quite hard to find advertised positions full stop. And this is a local school, part time (which I need) and permanent - like rocking horse poo...I need a job...but I need a soul too haha...

7. Izzy121

Izzy121 New commenter

Nope...forget my previous response, their school day runs from 8.20am to 5pm! I'm out.

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

That saves me wondering how to word politely my comment about a school that is prepared to advertise that people without QTS (failed QTSers even, perhaps?) may apply and be considered.

:)

Best wishes

Middlemarch likes this.
  9. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Exactly.

10. grussell1

grussell1 New commenter

School day from 8.20 until 5? Is that even legal?

11. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

There's no law against it!