1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Free School Meals Funded by Private School Parents

Discussion in 'Education news' started by JosieWhitehead, Apr 6, 2017.

1. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

They sound very spoilt! Obviously eating too much junk at home is a problem with some children, but in my experience almost all kids are starving by lunchtime! And teachers. The school day is very demanding and children burn off energy running around. I'm talking about primary, by the way.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Of course!
    21st century middle class children ARE (often) spoilt!

Ours are primary age as well.

drvs likes this.
  3. TEA2111

TEA2111 Established commenter

This then, is more an issue of bad parenting.

drvs and schoolsout4summer like this.
  4. palmtree100

True. But if they are not even hungry at lunchtime... something's not right. Do they have access to snacks at break?

5. palmtree100

Kids in my school are forever asking "When's lunch?" Many say they haven't had breakfast. But I agree this is bad parenting rather than lack of money.

6. caterpillartobutterfly

Yes, provided by the school and so still healthy and nutritious.
    If you've eaten a huge brekkie, then it is perfectly possible to go all day without eating.
    Especially if you have parents who give them extra because 'I know they don't like all that healthy stuff at lunch, so I want to make sure they don't get hungry'!!!!! Grrrrrr!
    We have plenty of those as well!!!!

7. ElPintor

ElPintor New commenter

Someone somewhere really ought to conduct a nationwide survey in order to establish just how much of the Free School Meals actually gets eaten. In my experiences, the vast majority goes straight into the bin. School lets out and the pupils, with money given to them by their parents, descend on the local fast food joints, usually munching on a packet or two of crisps whilst they wait for their bucket of chicken and chips.

Free School Meals for all sounds lovely in theory, but in practice will inevitably be a complete waste of time and money. As others have pointed out, the only way to really tackle the issue of unhealthy eating is to educate these children from the get go about how to eat properly. The parents too, though they are of course harder to access.

ViolaClef likes this.
  8. davidmu

davidmu Occasional commenter

Angela Rayner stated on radio 4 this morning that state schools were financing private schools. What absolute nonsense, the woman is an idiot. If all private pupils were state educated the overall cost to the state would increase by at least 7%. No wonder Labour will struggle to win an election with stupid MPs like her.

ElPintor likes this.
  9. palmtree100

Ah you see ours don't. And aren't even allowed to bring anything from home to eat at that time. We used to give fruit but that was stopped. So by lunch time everyone is hungry.

10. caterpillartobutterfly

WOW! But then we start school at 8.35 and lunch isn't until 1.00, so we need a mid morning snack.

palmtree100 likes this.
  11. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

It's sad to think back to a world war - yes, it really is - but there was something to be said for rationing and something to be said for using every bit of space to grow fresh vegetables and fruit and make them the main part of one's diet, knowing that there was no junk food to fill up with if you didn't eat these things. There was something to be said for looking forward with anticipation to one small chocolate Easter egg at Easter, and just one hot cross bun on Good Friday - - and perhaps just a few chocolates at Christmas with none in between usually. The treat at Christmas was also having a mandarin oriange with the chocolate in a small sock. We didn't think we were growing up eating "healthy" but when I read about the fussy eaters and the junk food children are getting down them today, then I realize we were actually the lucky ones. I think others may agree with this who will remember.

ViolaClef and palmtree100 like this.
  12. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

It was one-third of a pint of milk as a mid-morning snack, which was compulsory and paid for by the government. Others will remember crates with small bottles of milk standing on radiators in the winter thawing out, ha ha

nomad and palmtree100 like this.
  13. caterpillartobutterfly

LOLOL I remember those warm milk bottles.
    I LOVED Margaret Thatcher for doing away with them. (One of my earliest political memories.)

Our littlies get milk as well as a snack.

14. palmtree100

We start at 8.50 but lunch is similar to you - staggered eating times between 12.30-1.30.
    I often think they need a snack but then maybe they wouldn't be hungry at lunch, like the children in your school! I liked it when we gave free fruit in the playground mid-morning. Almost all kids ate it and many wanted more. Because there was nothing else I guess, no biscuits or cereal bars, only fruit.

15. davidmu

davidmu Occasional commenter

I agree with Josie Whitehead that in some ways we were the lucky ones during and just after the second world war. However it was not easy to grow ones own food when subject to continual bombing as my family were when living at FILTON, a suburb of Bristol. It was subject to substantial damage because of the aircraft industry there.

16. palmtree100

Me too. With a straw poked through the silver top.Yuk! I can still taste it!

17. blowswind

blowswind Occasional commenter

Please name this place with starving children.

18. palmtree100

Can't do that, for obvious reasons. But I assure you, it's real. They do eat, of course. But not always 3 meals a day, and not always nutritious food. Breakfast might be a packet of crisps on the way to school, for example. If you're lucky. Not all the children, but it's fairly common.

19. drvs

drvs Star commenter

VAT on fees would put some of the less financially robust independent schools at serious risk. Using the extra revenue to provide FSM in state schools would be a gross mismanagement of funds given the massive shortage of cash which the education sector is facing.

It seems to me that the direction of travel set by many state sector policies in the last decade has been dictated by the need to fill in the gaps left by poor parenting.

20. palmtree100

I think this is only really an issue in secondary school, whereas the proposed free school meals are limited to primary children.

I do agree that educating families is essential, but feeding primary children properly at school will go a long way to embedding good eating habits.

Alternatively, just ban packed lunches.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017