1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Free school dinner/lunch for all! Ridiculous!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by delmamerchant, Apr 22, 2017.

1. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Does anyone remember the watch out there's a humphrey about advert... or go to work on an egg?

install likes this.
  2. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

I vomited after milk, the teacher soon stopped offering it to me.

3. install

install Star commenter

I was in a multi- cultural school. Most loved it - but those who didn't were given fruit. But good point about the setting . And it was never ever force fed where I was - it was a very happy place.

My brother couldn't digest milk - he had fruit and joined in with the singing.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    slingshotsally likes this.
  4. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

it is not an assumption, it is a scientific fact! The only setting in which it is likely that the majority (not all) of children can digest milk would be in a white European one, specifically northern European. forcing children like myself, or slingshot sally to tolerate the sight and smell of milk every day is very mean, and the fact that we were actually forced to drink it is real child abuse, looking back.

I still can't stand the sight or smell of it, as a result.

slingshotsally and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I rarely drank mine.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

No. We choose where to spend it. I'd rather spend it feeding children than buying weapons and maintaining a nuclear deterrent. There are quite a few other things I could happily knock off the government budget too.

7. Flere-Imsaho

If only! I think behaviour and learning would improve stratospherically if we could.

8. Flere-Imsaho

Lots of kids can't. Their lunch breaks are much shorter and they live too far away because of Tory insistence on "choice".

9. Flere-Imsaho

I think this may have been true at some points but is not now. many supermarkets and other organisations do donate unwanted food to food banks and other charities.

bombaysapphire and needabreak like this.
  10. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Londoners make their air dirty, Londoners can pay for it.

8.7 million live in London, 55.4 million live outside of it, why should the small minority be prioritised over the majority?

install likes this.
  11. slingshotsally

Friggin disgusting - there's real hunger in the areas I have worked.

Even I have struggled to feed my children.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  12. slingshotsally

Oh I hadn't realised!

bombaysapphire and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  13. install

install Star commenter

You have jumped in too soon on the original text. I don't doubt the fact - I do doubt the assumption that the school I went to wasn't aware of the fact and was most certainly multi- cultural.

Milk and/ or fruit are healthy options and I am sure there are loads of others. The important thing where I was were the healthy vitamins not necessarily just a reliance on milk.

slingshotsally likes this.
  14. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I've never struggled to feed my children, as I've used child benefit for this - however I have often struggled to feed me.

Lara mfl 05 and slingshotsally like this.
  15. slingshotsally

I don't mind eating bread and butter with salt and pepper. The boys like bit more, though.

Last Christmas, I made madeleines instead of Christmas cake/pudding. No turkey etc.

install and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  16. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

The more I think about this, the more I wonder why it hasn't been addressed already.

We spend so much money on SEN support for instance and much of that is the result of poor parenting, though no-one specifically blames the parents for children's awful attitude to school when that is exactly where it has come from, instead we pay large amounts to help the children overcome their upbringing - frequently with pretty poor success at great cost.

Whereas much of what happens at school can easily be undone at home, a decent meal with the correct nutrients cannot be undone. There have been studies of captive groups such as prisoners offered the standard diet where they choose what they get or a better one selected for them, the chosen better diet led to better concentration, a calmer atmosphere and less violence. It is more to do with what they aren't getting in the poor diet rather than any direct negative effects.

I can't find a specific study but there's this:

http://eprints.ioe.ac.uk/15414/

some extracts I've copied:

• Children with nutritional deficiencies are particularly susceptible to the moment-to-moment metabolic changes that impact upon cognitive ability and performance of the brain. Treatment with nutritional supplements can result in improved performance. Among the well-nourished, augmentation of nutrient intake has less of an impact on cognitive performance.

• Maintaining adequate levels of glucose throughout the day contributes to optimising cognition, suggesting that nutritional intake should be designed to sustain an adequate level of glucose and to minimise fluctuations between meals.

• Nutrition, particularly in the short-term, is believed to impact upon individual behaviour, (e.g. concentration, activity levels). These behaviours have the potential to affect school performance and interaction with peers, and to compromise self-esteem. For example, lack of thiamin (Vitamin B) in the diet appears to have causal relationship with behavioural problems in adolescents, such as irritability, aggressive behaviour and personality changes.

• The constraints of low income create practical barriers to healthy eating. However, additional socio-environmental factors, such as lack of literacy and education, and culture reinforce the effects of deprivation.

17. slingshotsally

@Mangleworzle

It's also a case of training children's palates to eat healthily. If all you have been offered is a fish finger sandwich for tea because that was cheap, then you might not be aware that there are other ways of eating fish, so you will never try fish unless its battered/ fried etc.

A restricted budget might not allow for fresh fruit or veg everyday, so a child will not opt for these as s/he might not have the taste for them.

There's a raft of reasons for free school meals.

18. install

install Star commenter

Good points slingshotsally - and the sugary foods that some children have been accustomed to on a daily basis is also a problem for their palates, their teeth and potential other issues such as diabetes.

Free meals won't be the answer to everything but it could be a huge step forward for some.

bombaysapphire and Mangleworzle like this.
  19. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

To my knowledge there is no control over what food or drink you can bring into school. Although we do only allow students to drink water in lessons.

We have tried to educate students out of drinking those energy boosting drinks.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  20. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

Oh yes. The issue with free milk was a contentious one. No one knew mentioned or considered allergies when I was growing up. You just add to suck it up. Excuse the pun.