1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Free school dinner/lunch for all! Ridiculous!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by delmamerchant, Apr 22, 2017.

1. install

install Star commenter

Yes I remember free milk for all, and it isn't much of a stretch to go to free healthy meals for all...It could work..

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

They're not allowed to sally - they can't even donate to foodbanks.

Silly isn't it.

3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Didn't Jamie Oliver try something like this a few years back.

install likes this.
  4. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

I simply believe that we need to focus on educating not crippling society. No child in my inner London school goes hungry as they are provided for.

To me it is a senseless waste of money!

Promoting social dependency and undermining motivation. How long have we looked at parental responsibility and simply pushed it onto schools?

Schools already do so much:
    Breakfast club
    Nurture groups where fruit and healthy snacks are available but sit wilting
    Parents cookery lessons
    Healthy eating workers

And do I dare mention 'Prevent'.

Have a lovely week all.

wanet likes this.
  5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

6. install

install Star commenter

Goid point peakster - yes Jamie Oliver did try to look at school dinners. He tried to reduce the salt content and bring the cost down. It emerged that some youngsters didn't know what carrots were and many other vegetables...

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Funny you should say that....

I did a stupid quiz with my form recently where I showed them 20 photographs of various (pretty common) fruit and vegetables and they had to identify them.

There were a few that hardly any of them knew.

Lara mfl 05, install and lilachardy like this.
  8. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I don't. Why do you ask? This was an answer to JudeFawley's question.

9. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

They then qualify for a free balanced healthy school lunch.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. needabreak

But that's up to the owners and managers at the moment and some do donate to charity but might breach h&s legislation if used in school.

11. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Only if they're on benefit. Low income working families do not qualify e.g. on zero hours contract.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  12. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

You didn't get a choice as to whether you drank the free milk. That was the POINT!
    EWWW! I don't drink milk (unless it's a milkshake or a latte).
    EWWW! Is that organic milk?
    EWWWW! Good God are we living in a Nanny State? I won't be told what my child should drink because I'm Oppositional-Defiant/Hipster/Heyyyy A Freeeee Spirit and won't be crushed by The Man.

13. install

install Star commenter

We got a choice - and there were always a few spare which we lapped up...A few didn't like milk.

It wasn't force fed to us .

InkyP likes this.
  14. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

yep, I remember it well, queuing up to pour it down the drain every day.....

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  15. needabreak

Back to when I was a kid then, don't we love the good old days.:rolleyes::(

16. install

install Star commenter

I loved free milk - we used to sing with our bottles and straws. We would then collect the foil caps...such happy and healthy childhood memories. And we were poor.

All that calcium - so important to health.

17. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

it was forced on us, and has contributed to my life long hatred and disgust of milk.

( sips black coffee...)

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  18. needabreak

We weren't allowed to throw it away it was literally a sit down and drink it moment, that said often we didn't have milk at home and would have to pop down the road. People borrowing milk, sugar and eggs was a frequent occurrence where I grew up. Sad times indeed, made me very grateful for any help available. Also made me determined to get out of that situation and not exploit the help when given incase others really needed it more.

19. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

This is only appropriate in a white European setting, and for many individuals, not even then.

The ability to digest milk after the age of 5 is a mutation, which is largely racially specific - and NOT to my race....

20. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

so did we, but we had ways and means of smuggling it out to the sink, or out the window

Lara mfl 05 and needabreak like this.