1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Free school dinner/lunch for all! Ridiculous!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by delmamerchant, Apr 22, 2017.

1. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

Sorry, but I consider myself to be quite liberal and a caring member of society, but Labour's plan to give free school meals to all children has increased my What the hell and other forms of confusion level.:(

Coincidentally, whilst have breakfast in the local cafe, the local labour party were there gathering to start canvasing. Unable to digest my breakfast without taking this golden opportunity to ask about this policy. I stated that it should be means tested....The response: 'it would be too difficult to do so. ' WTH?

So how is it worked out now, I asked smirking? I'm still waiting for the response.

I am sure that it is means tested in some way at present that relates to those who receive some level of benefits. I think labour are out of touch! Or am I dreaming?:rolleyes:

Mr_Ed likes this.
  2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I think it's a good policy. I'd be inclined to provide breakfast rather than lunch though.

TCSC47, lilachardy, InkyP and 8 others like this.
  3. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

They'd need a lot of hole punching machines!

4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I'd provide healthy meals in all schools, and reduce child benefit to pay for it.

TCSC47, ScotSEN, vinnie24 and 4 others like this.
  5. install

install Star commenter

Like the sound of it - hopefully it will stop '****' being served , bought and eaten.

School meals that I have seen are currently dire. There are far too many chips, pizzas and stodge available on menus - along with fizzy drinks.

A change for all will be good.Hopefully a return also to a relaxed lunch rather than a rushed one. Many dinner-times in schools seem to be somewhere between 30 -50 mins...

slingshotsally likes this.
  6. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Maybe as well as.
    Porridge, fruit and syrup at breakfast and a nice chunky soup at lunch. Cheap and cheerful.

palmtree100 and lilachardy like this.
  7. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Parents should be providing breakfast and evening meals and for those who cannot a hot healthy free lunch is essential.

8. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

I think that free school meals for all school children in Britain is an excellent idea. This would help ensure that all pupils get a balanced, nutritious and healthy meal every day. However, some of the private businesses providing those meals may need to be reminded about what constitutes a healthy meal. This would then need to be actively monitored.
    Make every business and person in Britain pay the correct amount of tax that they should be paying and everything in Labour's proposals would be easily affordable. Those with the broadest shoulders should pay the most tax. However, in Tory Britain, only the little people pay tax. All tax cheats should be jailed and their assets seized.
    No pay tax in Britain = no do business in Britain. Simples

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Seeing parents complaining on the news about having to feed their own children during holidays is depressing.

Yet it increasingly seems beyond many parents abilities.

TCSC47, wanet and BelleDuJour like this.
  10. needabreak

Much as I agree with the majority of your post, I was concerned to hear JC say those on low incomes won't pay more tax, but it leaves it open for everyone else to end up carrying the tab. I'm not convinced we all agree on what poverty and wealth are in the UK in 2017.

Meanwhile business are free to locate where their costs are minimised. The Labour party would do well to get some people in with some idea about how businesses actually work, a life time of public service does not prepare them well for dealing with multinational corps in international markets.

11. needabreak

It depends. Some people on low incomes can find ways... ask SSS about her wonderful school holiday meal time plans. We all do it.

TCSC47 and lanokia like this.
  12. bonkers 704

bonkers 704 Lead commenter

Of course free school lunches for all pupils 4-11 is a great idea. Perhaps it could be paid for by handing out less largesse courtesy of the taxpayers to people who don't need it. If parents like delma object to their child getting it, they could give an equivalent contribution to their school in the form of cash.

TCSC47 likes this.
  13. needabreak

Could you perhaps translate that for us mere mortals?

14. bonkers 704

Delma is the original poster on this thread.

needabreak likes this.
  15. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

When i was teacher even children on free meals would often not eat school meals.I agree breakfast is a more important meal,,,,,,,yet children still like the 'bad ' things.I asked my two grand kids and chips and fish days where deemed the best and pasta, as long as it had a sauce.I hadn't realised they went to breakfast club as their mother had to go to work....but they said they liked it....but still basically cereal or toast with something(as the described it)

16. bonkers 704

Otherwise I'm thinking of tax relief and sweetheart deals that (as a regular reader of Private Eye) are available for the very rich. MPs' expenses for instance which allow them to employ members of their family to do clerical tasks at high salaries and to claim all kinds of things for their second homes.

17. needabreak

I see. I think I said on another thread that they should have terms and conditions and a contract agreed by UK citizens. I'd go so far as to say they should be I reviewed for top jobs with transparent job descriptions and person specs.

18. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

When I had school meals, there was zero choice of menu and no choice at all about eating it. You could go home but you couldn't bring a packed lunch. I suppose it helped that the kind of stuff served in school was pretty much what you were used to at home.

You couldn't possibly get away with that today. By the time you've taken all the allergies (and I'm sure plenty of preferences would be upgraded thus) into account, the increase in vegetarianism, the demands for organic and provenance, the fact that Tarquin simply does not eat carrots and that a lot of what kids get at home is processed pierce-and-ping or oven-tray junk and fresh simple food is foreign to them, you'd be scraping a lot of free food into the bin every lunchtime and providing counselling for children who just can't cope with being required to do anything food-related.
    Parents just won't be told "it's free school set meal or nothing".

wanet, BelleDuJour and sbkrobson like this.
  19. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

I'm a bit confused, until I was 11, you either had school meals or went home for lunch.

Maybe it was just us, but it was free meals or paid meals for Juniors, but sandwiches didn't come in until around 1981/2(?) when school kitchens were shut down in our area due to recession.

It was a bid deal at the time as parents wanted children to have a hot meal (the schools weren't putting the heating on till November and shutting it off by February). I can recall sitting in class wearing coats and trying to keep my fingers warm.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  20. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper