1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Free school/Academy help needed!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by MissRoo, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Sorry if this is the wrong place but I wasn't quite sure where to post. I'm applying for primary PGCE so thought I'd pop it in here.

I've been doing some research on free schools and academies and managed to get myself completely confused about how they work!

Academies are independent from the Local Authority? So in charge of their own budget etc. I've found some articles with pros and cons and it seems like some schools are applying to become academies to avoid budget cuts and so they aren't left on the local authority and therefore look less desirable to parents. Do I have that right?

But I don't understand free schools! How do they work?

Sorry if this is completely pointless but any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Sorry if this is the wrong place but I wasn't quite sure where to post. I'm applying for primary PGCE so thought I'd pop it in here.

I've been doing some research on free schools and academies and managed to get myself completely confused about how they work!

Academies are independent from the Local Authority? So in charge of their own budget etc. I've found some articles with pros and cons and it seems like some schools are applying to become academies to avoid budget cuts and so they aren't left on the local authority and therefore look less desirable to parents. Do I have that right?

But I don't understand free schools! How do they work?

Sorry if this is completely pointless but any help would be greatly appreciated!

3. Ate my paragraphs!