1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Free physio advice wanted

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by Lilyofthefield, Apr 13, 2011.

1. I posted this on the H&W thread but thought you PE people would know something about it too:
    I have had the cartilage done in one knee and the other is on the way out. I've got osteo-arthritis behind both kneecaps. Taking weight upon my bent knees e.g. squats and lunges is painful to the point of undoable beyond a certain angle. I can do it a bit. I don't go any further than my bearable limit and I avoid twisting because of the cartilage problem.
    My knees hurt like hell after an exercise class or gym session and ache in bed. It gets better as the next day goes on. The next time I do a class it hurts all over again and gets better all over again. Do you think this is doing them any actual damage? It's certainly not getting easier with practice so I don't think it's just post-exercise ache (the arms and shoulders are fine now).

2. I posted this on the H&W thread but thought you PE people would know something about it too:
    I have had the cartilage done in one knee and the other is on the way out. I've got osteo-arthritis behind both kneecaps. Taking weight upon my bent knees e.g. squats and lunges is painful to the point of undoable beyond a certain angle. I can do it a bit. I don't go any further than my bearable limit and I avoid twisting because of the cartilage problem.
    My knees hurt like hell after an exercise class or gym session and ache in bed. It gets better as the next day goes on. The next time I do a class it hurts all over again and gets better all over again. Do you think this is doing them any actual damage? It's certainly not getting easier with practice so I don't think it's just post-exercise ache (the arms and shoulders are fine now).

3. You should have PMd me Lil!
    Squats etc are probably off the menu until your 2nd knee gets done.
    BUT you could do them and all sorts of other knee bendy bits in water!
    The continued ache - is it just in the non op'd knee?
    If in the one with the op then you can work through it and it will eventually feel more stabel and less painful.
    If the one without the op then you need to take it slowly and to be very very careful, you have otlined why. I would suggest water work and painkillers in order to keep you as mobile as possible.
    PM me if you want more, I'l dig out some good websites for you and read through the knbee chapter of my post rehab book for some handy hints!

4. Maybe you need both knees scraped (not scrapped!); get the bone joint nice and smooth again.
    A mate of mine had it done (he was 48/9) and he is far more comfortable now.
    Not the nicest thought, though...

5. Giving the knee joint a good wash and trimming away any scraggy bits will work well on a torn cartilage, if it's osteoarthritis, as in Lily's (and my) case then there's only so much scraping that can be done. It's the wear and tear that can't be fixed. :(