1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Free Parking for Electric Cars

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35399212

"Electric car drivers will be allowed to travel in bus lanes as part of plans to boost usage of low-emission vehicles in England.

Free parking spaces for plug-in car owners and streetlight charging points are also set to be introduced.

The government awarded cash to four areas which successfully bid for a share of £40m funding.

Transport secretary Patrick McLaughlin said the councils had shown "exciting, innovative ideas" for electric cars.

Nottinghamshire and Derby, Milton Keynes, Bristol and London qualified for a share of the cash.

Bus lanes in Milton Keynes will be re-branded as low emission lanes giving plug-in vehicles the same priority as buses at traffic lights.

The town, which has been awarded £9m, will also build an advice centre offering short-term loans for electric car purchases.

It is also proposing to open all its 20,000 parking bays for free to electric cars."

How is this going to work? Aside from the prospect of disrupting bus travel by having bus lanes clogged up with electric cars, the loss of parking revenue that councils rely on will somehow need to be found. Is this going to come from increased parking fees for sensible cars or increased council tax?

2. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Probably work quite well.

There really aren't that many electric cars around so 'clogging bus lanes' isn't likely to be a problem for several years yet.

And one reason why there aren't many around is that you really need to have them plugged in when they're parked and not all that long ago there was a very limited 'free' provision of electric car bays but those suddenly became charged for - I think the scheme was privatised.

My guess is Milton Keynes has seen there's some 'free money' from central government going begging here and is intending to use it to make its existing electric car bays free again.

Apparently, there are 170 across the town:

http://www.milton-keynes.gov.uk/streets-transport-and-parking/parking/electric-vehicle-charge-points

3. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Who wants to park in Milton Keynes unless they need to charge up their cars?
    :)

4. colpee

colpee Star commenter

I'm struggling to see how re-branding bus lanes (a few signposts and some paint?), allowing a few electric cars to park for free and a self-funding loans business (even if it were necessary to house it in new-built property, which it obviously isn't) adds up to many millions of pounds of taxpayer subsidyo_O

5. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Can bus lane cameras tell the diffeence between electric and non- electric cars?

6. FritzGrade

FritzGrade Senior commenter

The vehicle registration will enable identification.

7. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

What happens when they run out of juice in the bus lane?

8. Duke of York

We have a laugh and count ourselves lucky that they didn't do it in the main lane.

TCSC47 likes this.
  9. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Unless they solve the problem of running out of juice and range in general they just will not go anywhere (like they don't when they run out of juice).

10. Duke of York

Out of interest, is there any reason why electric cars don't have solar panels on their roofs?

11. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Probably cost. Electric cars are ridiculously expensive anyway. Just look at the offerings from Renault and Nissan. If they were cheap enough it could be considered viable for commuting, but when you take range (with a pinch of salt) and problems encountered, and use of heating, lights and wipers it becomes laughable. I go 23 miles each way to and from work, there is not electric car that could be relied on to get me home every night, and of course, there are no charging points at work.

12. FritzGrade

A Tesla Model S would.

13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Where will tax go up when we stop buying petrol?

14. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

No it wouldn't as you would be constantly wondering after sitting in traffic for an hour when it was going to give up. And what do they cost? Typical glib remark from you. How did you get to "star" status without being banned? (Judging off your comments on other threads.)

15. FritzGrade

Why it's got 5 times the range you need?
    You never mentioned cost, only that you thought none had a range that could do your 46 mile round trip.

16. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

There was a phone-in on the radio yesterday, I thought they sounded a great idea to start with until someone mentioned "range anxiety" which I just know I'd end up suffering from, using lights, heating, air con etc. can have a very significant effect on the range you get.

On the one hand it may be like other technology in that as time goes on it gets cheaper and better, then again I can't help thinking that this has all been done before, over a hundred years ago when cars were new there were petrol, steam and electric cars available, only one of them won through then. I'm not so convinced things are so much more sorted now, much better of course, but no-where near the amount and speed of energy transfer as when you fill up at the garage.

17. FritzGrade

In the US they are trialling battery swaps fro long journeys where you swap the flat battery for a charged one in less than the time it takes to to fill a tank. Some recharge points can give a decent distance after 30 mins recharge. At home it has improved with wireless recharging so it's just park and charge. The technology is advancing quickly and will be viable for many people soon. 10 years?

18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Damn that is such a good idea!

19. FritzGrade

20. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Try reading instead of just baiting. I did mention cost.