1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Free likes for lurkers!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mangleworzle, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I noticed a little while ago since the list of members online arrived that if you click on the usernames you get the date of joining and no. of posts from the member.

I have also noticed that at any given time there are a number of members online with usernames I don't recognise who have been members for anywhere up to 10 years but have never posted (go on try it, click on some names). I appreciate that many like me lost our previous posting totals and started again at zero so some of them may well have posted in the past.

So in an attempt to avoid what I'm supposed to be doing and encourage lurkers to come out of the shadows I will give a guaranteed like to any first post from a lurker on this thread. Remember likes matter, FB and Twitter have shown us they can change the world, eliminate poverty, bring peace to war-torn regions and re-unite families.

C'mon lurkers, post away, you know you want to.

Sillow, Alceanne and kibosh like this.
  2. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Why not freak them out by tagging them?

Sillow, Flere-Imsaho and Mangleworzle like this.
  3. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Well it seems the lurkers are quite content to lurk. Mangle might have been better suggesting that all lurkers 'like' the OP.

Mangleworzle likes this.
  4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Stop trying to out 'lurkers', just let them lurk in peace. Unless it's @lurk_much in which case he should get himself out here pronto and make the forum more interesting just by posting!

kibosh likes this.
  5. Mangleworzle

Yebbut some have lurked in peace for a decade!

I'm worried they might be stuck in here, like a low-tech version of Tron.

6. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Good idea. Break them in gently.

kibosh likes this.
  7. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Don't people who are only accessing the Resources or Jobs section show on the list? They may never have entered the Forums since joining so may not be lurking - but completely oblivious to what's going on here!

8. Mangleworzle

Maybe, didn't think of that - I assumed it was people looking at the forum.

I've just had another delivery of them too

[​IMG]

kibosh likes this.
  9. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I tried following a couple for a week or so with no result

kibosh likes this.
  10. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I've noticed one or two, who say they are lurkers, posting on Workplace Dilemmas. It's to do with the previous site navigation and an easier navigation now. So perhaps more lurkers will step up to post on Personal. We should ease them in gently!

kibosh likes this.
  11. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

To be fair, it looks like I've only made a few posts in 11+ years, when we know it's not true.
    Inaccurate statistics are worthless.

12. Mangleworzle

Maybe we could adopt a lurker, follow them for a bit and send friendly "You're a nice guy/gal, you should post on personal, g'wan, g'wan, g'wan, g'wan, g'wan, g'wan, g'wan, g'wan, g'wan, g'wan, g'wan, g'wan, g'wan,".

That would work.

Didactylos4 and kibosh like this.
  13. Mangleworzle

I see that you've made 108 posts since the re-vamp, there are loads with zero posts, maybe for the reason Marlin said.

14. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Always a wise move ;)

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I just had a look at a lurker...

It said she had one post... I clicked it... turned out she had three pages of them. Only one post nuTES. So maybe some of them were quite active prior to nuTES?

16. Mangleworzle

Oh yes, just seen a similar thing.

The plot thickens.

17. Alceanne

Alceanne Occasional commenter

I am a lurker who only started posting a couple of weeks ago.

I've been reading the forums for at least a decade - latterly mostly personal & cookery. I started lurking on the pregnancy/baby/toddler forums when I returned to work after my last (as in last-child-I-planned-to-have) maternity leave. I only had a 20 minute lunch break, usually spent eating a sandwich at my desk and it was a nice place to read and feel part of a virtual community which was very similar to the RL community I'd recently been in (and missed, horribly). I didn't post at that point because I was very unsure about company IT policy, and I never had time to visit the site at other times of day.

Over time I segued to reading the threads more widely and during the 6-7 years my mother was ill with an degenerative neurological disease the Alzheimers forum was a bit of a lifeline, and this brought me back to the site several times a week.

I was inspired to start posting by a sudden urge to say 'thank you' to the posters on the Alz. thread, but why now particularly, and not a few years ago? I really don't know. The new site is definitely easier to navigate - maybe that helped. For me, too, the sudden surge of new posters, and the increased threads which followed the re-launch was helpful - I'm always one to slide into a party amongst a crowd.

It's been a lot easier to log in and set up as a poster than I ever imagined. (Apart from today when it kept logging me out just as I'd decided to post this message - I must have logged in 10 times this morning - log in, navigate back to this thread, find myself logged out again. I've no idea what I eventually did to solve it.)

If other lurkers are in the same position as me I do urge you to join in. It's been easier than I thought, and I do feel very welcome. I've posted on several threads now, and 'liked' someone (for a bit of a luddite who doesn't use facebook, that feels like an achievement!). It might take me a while to actually start a thread, mind you....

Eureka!, Didactylos4, InkyP and 4 others like this.
  18. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Maybe they're being held captive by the robots?

kibosh likes this.
  19. Mangleworzle

20. Mangleworzle

You've got me worried again now......

I do hope they're having fun

[​IMG]