1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Free games building software

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by bpsict, May 30, 2012.

1. Hi all,

I've been trying to find some simple games building bits of software to use with KS3. I'm looking for something fairly easy to get started with that can produce something a little bit more interesting than Scratch.

Cheers in advance!

2. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

in no particular order
    Alice, Kodu, Gamemaker, stencylworks, scratch 2.0 (can now create own subroutines and call them).
    To be honest I would still run with scratch over all of the above though

3. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

you might also want to take a look at code avengers if you are trying to introduce something complex but "fun" into your lessons

4. Scratch games can be pretty interesting IMHO. OK, the 2D interface for the game might not be as awe inspiring as Call of Duty, but it does the job.

That said, I would list the options exactly as David has. There's an Alice SoW at mukoku.vl3.co.uk you are welcome to look at / borrow / steal / adapt. Loads of others out there as well.

5. Thanks guys very helpful! :)