1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Free French ens

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I've just suffered listening to the Twelve days of Christmas as sung by the team in my sweetheart's ex-hairdressing salon, who kindly emailed her a video of their performance instead of a card.

Now you call me a snob if you like, since I was brought up to learn a form of English that didn't include aiches, but I read a lot of books when I was young and made a point of what those mysterious and seemingly unnecessary character was. Same with the silent G on words that ended in ing. Somehow I managed to talk posh, like what the middle class do.

When I say I suffered the song however, it was mostly because there weren't two of the choir who could sing the same note together, but their rendition took me back to happier times before aiches had been invented and when the g on the end of words could be forgotten.

The twelves of Christmas is in my view, a song designed to trip up the unwary student of elocution lessons. Even the second verse trips up the poor student with turtols.

2. Mullam

Mullam Occasional commenter

That Chaser who can't say 'th' annoys me. It's pure laziness!

3. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Who's that Chaser?