1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Free flow supervision- year 1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jo123go, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Hi all-
    Just wanted to quickly pick a few brains regarding how you supervise your children with free flow continuous provision. I'm in a year 1 class next year, I have my classroom, an enclosed outdoor area and an additional small classroom attached to mine. I have ta support all day. I've not taught in year 1 before- is it realistic to expect year 1 children to organise themselves and have good enough behaviour to access the outdoor area and additional classroom independently? Or will my ta / myself need to be in the outside area at all times?
    Thanks in advance,
    Jo

2. Hi all-
    Just wanted to quickly pick a few brains regarding how you supervise your children with free flow continuous provision. I'm in a year 1 class next year, I have my classroom, an enclosed outdoor area and an additional small classroom attached to mine. I have ta support all day. I've not taught in year 1 before- is it realistic to expect year 1 children to organise themselves and have good enough behaviour to access the outdoor area and additional classroom independently? Or will my ta / myself need to be in the outside area at all times?
    Thanks in advance,
    Jo

3. comenius

comenius New commenter

I guess a lot will depend on what they have been used to in reception. Can you see the outdoors area from your clasroom?
    I have an outdoor area and a wide corridor area outside the classroom. Luckily there are 3 adults in year 1 most of the time and so there is always an adult in each area. It would be a health and safety issue if I didn't have an adult in the outdoors area as I can't see it from the classroom, but also the adult supports the learning in that area too.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I haven't taught year 1 before either, but I sincerely hope so. I have an enclosed outdoor area which I can see most of, so they can use it by themselves. I also want to be able to send them to change their own reading books, maybe in pairs, which are in the corridor.

Both might take a bit of training, but I'm hoping they'll be fine.

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

You may find they need to be supervised outdoors (not because they aren't capable but because someone is worried about risk)

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Mine are apparently allowed to be out there, if they stay within my eye sight. The area will be covered over the summer and so hopefully I just need to string something across the part I can't see and they'll be fine.

7. alwayslearning

alwayslearning New commenter

I teach year 1 and 2, but will only have a TA for 1 day next year, so I am really interested to follow this thread. Hopefully my children will be able to learning in the outside area without me!

8. janie11

janie11 New commenter

I have TA envy! I have a year 1 class and a TA for 2 days a week. I would love to know how othrs run their classes. I dont really have an outside area as such, when it isnt raining (so roughly twice a year) i have a weeny space to set out a sand tray but really my classroom is all I have. I do have a TA to share who can take out 3 or 4 children several times a week to do intervention work for a few sessions in the morning if she isnt poached to cover illness etc (pretty much all the time just lately). This year has been a bit of trial and error and I am still trying to decide what works and what doesnt. Some activities we do do as a whole class but generally over the week I have different activities going on around the room and a focus gp working with me each session. I would love to know how others do this and plan. If any experienced Y1 teachers would feel happy to share ideas/examples of plans I would love to have a peek, especially those who dont have full time TA support.
    On another note what do you all do for guided reading/spellings etc?