1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Free classroom noise monitor....actually works!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Waterfin, Mar 4, 2011.

1. A classroom noise monitor that actually works independently. (As opposed to those paper based systems that you need to keep trotting back to when the noise level changes.)
    I was sorely tempted by the expensive but amazing looking noise monitor on the primary resources website, but have found this. It works really well at picking up noises at home using the built in microphone on the laptop and look forward to using this at school.
    My class are fine at working quietly when they are completing independent tasks, but with talk for writing/group work/talking partners and all the other activities they do that they need to talk with each other for often is much more difficult. I have a few children who have naturally loud (and in one case quite shrill) talking voices. They start talking, then the noise rises, so they raise their voices and it is a vicious circle.
    I've been looking for something that will work as a monitoring system for them to have on the whiteboard to help them be more aware. They are great at working together and we have a whole class reward ladder. I'm hoping to be able to award steps up the ladder for lessons where they have kept their voices at an appropriate working level.
    http://www.ictgames.com/calmCounter.html

2. A classroom noise monitor that actually works independently. (As opposed to those paper based systems that you need to keep trotting back to when the noise level changes.)
    I was sorely tempted by the expensive but amazing looking noise monitor on the primary resources website, but have found this. It works really well at picking up noises at home using the built in microphone on the laptop and look forward to using this at school.
    My class are fine at working quietly when they are completing independent tasks, but with talk for writing/group work/talking partners and all the other activities they do that they need to talk with each other for often is much more difficult. I have a few children who have naturally loud (and in one case quite shrill) talking voices. They start talking, then the noise rises, so they raise their voices and it is a vicious circle.
    I've been looking for something that will work as a monitoring system for them to have on the whiteboard to help them be more aware. They are great at working together and we have a whole class reward ladder. I'm hoping to be able to award steps up the ladder for lessons where they have kept their voices at an appropriate working level.
    http://www.ictgames.com/calmCounter.html

3. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

That's sounds really good. I'll have to try it when I get into school next week - if I can work out how to switch the webcam off. I know there's one hiding in the laptop somewhere!

4. lucyladybird

lucyladybird New commenter

Thank You, looking forward to trying this on Monday. I too have a class who can work quietly on their own but come working as group it's a nightmare, they are working but can only do it by shouting at each other! Have been trying all sorts of things to make them quieter and think the visual of this will appeal, plus will stop me going insane!

5. I'm looking forward to trying this at school...and I'm just hoping that it won't be blocked by the county's firewall when I try to access it :) They seem to have blocked a lot of useful educational games sites.

6. Thanks for sharing- this looks great- will test it out at school! x

7. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

mine are just a nghtmare and dont know how to work quietly lol

8. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

That is brilliant, thanks for sharing it! Mine often shout at each other even when working in pairs. Look forward to trying it out on Monday (assuming stupid LA firewall will let it through - they recently blocked the School Fantasy Football website, haven't the faintest idea why!)

9. Ours once handily blocked the online assessment webpage we use and on another occasion the school's own blog site. While at the same time letting through all sorts of inappropriate images.

10. Yay...it worked.
    Took a little bit of fiddling to get the sensitivity right on the microphone, but it was good. (Once they got over the temptation to cough and try and trigger it into the red at the start)

11. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

Haha, mine also tried coughing and spent the first 5 minutes staring at the board instead of getting on with their work! I told them every time it hit the final red bar, I would keep them in for a minute of lunchtime - that worked a charm! Then my TA sneezed... [​IMG]

12. Love it! My door shutting is noisy enough to get it straight into the red too.
    I'm going for the positive of rewards for staying in the green, but may bear in mind the playtime thing as they are a bit too chatty for my liking at the moment (especially with a looming link-officer observation in a matter of weeks - eek!)

13. Mine started coughing as soon as I used it. Then I told them I was worried about their health and we might need to stay in at play time for the sake of their lungs. Miraculous improvement in the overall health of the class. : )

14. This is only working for me when I click 'allow access' to my camera and microphone- is that correct? Don't want to be trying it out in class if the camera particularly is recording something!!